Project Location: C&O Canal National Historic Park Towpath Crew – Potomac, MD
Program Dates: April 17, 2023 – October 6, 2023
- Monday – Friday 6:00 am – 3:30 pm (A Week)
- Monday – Thursday 6:00 am – 3:30 pm, Friday off (B Week)
Transportation and Site Locations:
Members must provide their own transportation to and from the maintenance shop at the Palisades, Maryland site. The Palisades shop is located at 11710 Macarthur Blvd Potomac, MD.
Members will support the C&O Canal maintenance staff with routine daily activities along the towpath. This SCA team will support the CHOH maintenance staff with routine daily maintenance activities based at the Hancock maintenance shop. Primarily, this project requires SCA members to remove vegetation from historic stone culverts, locks, flumes, abutments, walls, and any other historic stone structure within the park boundaries that the NPS deems the need for vegetation removal. This crew will assist the NPS staff with the removal of fallen trees in the park and along the towpath.
In addition, members will support projects related to carpentry, masonry, and GIS mapping. If members do not already have basic first aid and CPR training, they will receive this training during the program. The crew will work collaboratively and efficiently as a team to complete projects by deadline. Tool usage, safety, risk, and job hazard assessments will be part of training and daily briefings. Members of this crew may receive chainsaw certification, dependent upon the capacity of NPS staff to host the training.
If the position is successfully completed, members may be eligible to earn the Public Land Corps (PLC) Hiring Authority giving them eligibility to apply to merit vacancy announcements within the Federal Government for two years.
Once you have submitted your application and at least two references, please email [email protected] to confirm your application has been received.
Member Qualifications (Essential Functions)
- If electing to serve as an AmeriCorps member, the candidate must:
- Be a citizen, permanent resident, or national of the United States
- Must be at least 18 years or older
- Local candidates only
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent or actively working to obtain one;
- Be willing to undergo National Service Criminal History Check, including criminal background, sex offender and FBI checks;
- Candidate must also be able to pass SCA’s AmeriCorps criminal history background check.
It is SCA’s policy that all AmeriCorps-required background checks must return cleared results prior to the position’s start; this includes being fingerprinted for the FBI check. Otherwise, the AmeriCorps award will be removed or the position’s start date will be delayed due to non-compliance.
- Members will be engaged in a national network of professional resources and a peer group.
- $600 weekly living allowance (pre-tax)
- Upon successful completion of service, a $3,247.50 AmeriCorps Education Award (900 Minimum Service Hours)*
- AmeriCorps Member Assistance Program
- Trainings provided:
- AmeriCorps 101 and Prohibited Activities, suspension and termination policy
- AmeriCorps Members Service Agreement- Drug Free Workplace, Code of Conduct, Grievance Procedures, Disability Inclusion, Non-Discrimination
- Justice, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion
- Sexual Harassment & Maintaining a Positive Workplace
- Risk Management 101
- Life After AmeriCorps- resume building, applying for jobs etc.
- Basic First Aid and CPR, if needed
- Tool usage, safety, risk, and job hazard assessments
- NPS Operational Leadership Training and Chainsaw certification possible based on capacity of NPS staff
*All allowances are subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes.
2023 Tentative Schedule
*Please note – this is a tentative schedule. Dates and training opportunities may change.
- 04/17/23 – 04/21/23: National Direct Program (Virtual) Orientation & On-Site Training
- 04/24/2023- 09/29/2023: Field Season
- 10/02/2023 – 10/06/2023: Last week of service & Final wrap up
M-F, 6am-3:30 pm (A Week), ~45 hours per week.
M-R, 6am-3:30 pm, Friday off (B Week), Friday, ~36 hours per week.
Members serve approximately 40 hours a week for a period of 25 weeks. Members must achieve a minimum of 900 hours of service within 25 weeks. Specific weekly position schedules may vary depending on the needs of the site.
This position is part of a specialized SCA AmeriCorps program and if you are selected, you will be serving as an SCA AmeriCorps member.
It is our strong belief that equal opportunity for all members is central to the continued success of our programs. We will not discriminate against an applicant because of race, religious creed, religion, color, sex, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, age, physical disability, mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity characteristics or expressions in selections, terminations and or recommendations. Opportunity is provided to all applicants in the basis of qualifications and program requirements. Upon request, reasonable accommodations will be provided to applicants during the selection process and to members during service.
Conditions of Employment
For SCA’s COVID guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid.
Position ID: PO-00735371
Expected Dates: April 17, 2023 - October 6, 2023
11710 MacArthur BLVD
Potomac, MD 20854
Handicap Accessible?: No
Main Area of Focus: Natural Resources Mgmt
AmeriCorps Eligible: Not Eligible
Driving Logistics: Required
The park is only accessible by car, no public transportation is available. Walking/biking to work would include several miles or more in each direction depending on location of residence.
Housing or Stipend Provided?
D. No housing is available
US Citizenship: Yes