The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization, seeks young adult interns 18+ or older interested in conservation service work. The Oldtown Crew will work alongside National Park Service staff and local SCA Program staff and consist of 3 crew members with 1 crew leader supervisor.
Hire date: 9/1/23 or until all positions is filled; Hiring on a rolling basis, apply ASAP for priority consideration
End date: 3/15/24 (potential for the position to extend into 5/17/2024 or later)
Schedule: Monday – Friday 6:00 am – 3:30 pm (A Week)
Monday – Thursday 6:00 am – 3:30 pm, Friday off (B Week)
Pay Rate: $600/week; bi-weekly pay schedule
Members will support the C&O Canal maintenance staff with routine daily activities along the towpath. This crew will be based out of the Oldtown maintenance shop. The three members will work alongside an SCA crew leader.
Project tasks may include:
- Vegetation removal from historic stone culverts, locks, flumes, abutments, walls, and any other historic stone structure within the park boundaries that the NPS deems the need for vegetation removal
- Assisting NPS staff with the removal of fallen trees in the park and along the towpath
- Restoration and maintenance of several culverts within this section of the park
Training may include:
- Basic first aid and CPR training
- Depending on National Park Service course availability: NPS Operational Leadership Training, Chainsaw Certification
- Field tool use
- Safety and risk management
Program best practices, tool usage, safety, and job hazard assessments will be part of training and daily briefings. All members will learn to work in new environments, outdoor spaces, in a crew-model with new people, all while learning new field skills. Being open to new experiences is a huge advantage for crew members.
- Earn a stipend or wage for your work
- Explore green jobs and career opportunities
- Complete important conservation projects at a National Park
- Participate in professional development and skill building as a team
- Alumni benefits after successful completion of program
- SCA gear package
BONUS: If the position is successfully completed, members may be eligible to earn the Public Land Corps (PLC) Hiring Authority giving them eligibility to apply to merit vacancy announcements within the Federal Government for two years.
APPLICATION: Once you have submitted your application and at least two references, please email [email protected] to confirm your application has been submitted.
COVID-19: Visit the following website for more information regarding SCA's COVID-19 Management Policies: www.thesca.org/covid.
Position ID: PO-00733990
Expected Dates: September 12, 2022 - March 15, 2024
18907 Green Spring Road SE
Oldtown, MD 21555
Handicap Accessible?: No
Main Area of Focus: Natural Resources Mgmt
AmeriCorps Eligible: Not Eligible
Driving Logistics: Required
The park is only accessible by car, no public transportation is available. Walking/biking to work would include several miles or more in each direction depending on location of residence.
Housing or Stipend Provided?
D. No housing is available
US Citizenship: Yes