Open to Local Bay Area applicants.
Public Outreach Ambassadors
The San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department is seeking highly motivated individuals to serve as public outreach ambassadors for the “LoveDolores" and Coyote Coexistence Campaigns. Ambassadors will work on projects related to Leave No Trace, environmental conservation, waste reduction, wildlife education, and park stewardship.
LoveDolores, a Leave No Trace (LNT) campaign located at Mission Dolores Park, one of the most iconic parks in San Francisco. Through on-site outreach, education, and events, the public outreach ambassador will work to reduce litter at Dolores Park and encourage park visitors to become better stewards.
- Coyote Coexistence Campaign ambassadors will lead on-site education and community outreach efforts to inform park visitors about the local wildlife.
Ambassadors may also be assigned to work in other parks, engaging with visitors, and building the connection between people and their parks. All work supports the Recreation and Park Department’s mission of providing enriching recreational activities, maintaining beautiful and safe parks, and preserving the environment for the well-being of everyone in our diverse community.
Under the guidance of the Policy and Public Affairs division:
• Direct, public interactions at parks to educate and foster friendly relationships with park visitors at Dolores Park and other sites.
• Teach park users about Leave No Trace, coyote coexistence, and how to be become better park stewards.
• Collaborate with park staff to tackle issues and create a safe environment for everyone's enjoyment.
• Work closely with the Policy & Public Affairs team and other SFRPD divisions on various projects.
• Track and document weekend information to inform future outreach decisions.
• Develop awareness and knowledge of local culture and history to understand the parks better.
• Conduct park-use surveys to determine behavior of park visitors and sources of trash.
• Collect data, create reports, presentations, and materials that promote Leave No Trace and coexistence ethics.
• Educate and engage park users with the environmental problems and conservation needs.
• Assist in the creation of collateral material to post at parks.
• Oversee Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts to increase followers and engage users.
• Conceptualize and create eye-catching content for social media posts.
• Convey ideas in a creative and exciting manner, while still delivering important messaging.
• Respond quickly and appropriately to public inquiries and complaints.
• Provide information and education materials while navigating difficult questions.
Partnership & Community Building:
• Establishing new connections with local business, non-profits, neighbors, and other stakeholders.
• Plan and coordinate restoration stewardship activities and events with community members.
• Train and facilitate groups of volunteers (up to 50 at a time).
• Help expand program to other city parks.
• Age 21+.
• Bay Area resident.
• Excellent communication skills and ability to approach and interact with diverse populations.
• Must have a genuine passion for community engagement, environmental conservation, and public service.
• Able to work weekends and outdoors in inclement weather.
• Able to stand for 3-4 hours at a time, lift heavy boxes, walk hills, and be physically active
• Positive attitude and willingness to be flexible.
• Detail-oriented, dependable, self-motivated. Can work both independently & collaboratively.
• Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite).
• Graphic design skills using Adobe Suite and Canva highly desired.
• Ability to follow direction and take initiative as needed.
• Comfortable being in large crowds and talking one on one with park visitors.
• Able to respond to unforeseen challenges and address difficult situations.
• Creative and critical thinking skills.
• Currently obtaining or has a B.A. or B.S.
• Valid CA Driving License.
• Bilingual (Spanish or Chinese).
• Women, BIPOC and multilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
20 hours/week – this job requires working in the parks on Saturday and Sunday, and in the office Wednesdays (additional days flexible/as needed).
Monday: OFF (except Memorial Day and Labor Day)
Wednesday: 10am-4pm (Golden Gate Park Office)
Thursday: 10am-4pm (Golden Gate Park Office)
Saturday: 12pm-4pm (Dolores or another park)
Sunday: 12pm-4pm (Dolores or another park)
$350/week Living allowance
$500/month housing allowance
Total: $23.75/hr @ 20hrs/week
26-week contract – Preferred start in mid-April
Position ID: PO-00733573
Expected Dates: May 1, 2023 - October 29, 2023
501 Stanyan Street
San Francisco, CA 94117
Training Provided: Leave No Trace
Main Area of Focus: Visitor Services and Site Operations
AmeriCorps Eligible: Not Eligible
Driving Logistics: Not needed
Housing or Stipend Provided?
C.Partner will pay the SCA to provide housing allowance for the member.
US Citizenship: Yes