The Student Conservation Intern will have the unique opportunity to support two emerging projects within the City of Detroit’s Parks and Public Spaces. Specifically, the intern will focus on:
- Supporting engagement and planting work related to the City's Tree Equity initiative
- Conservation planning related to the parks system’s development of a Natural Areas Management Strategy
Tree Equity Initiative
- Identify planting locations for residential plantings
- Support species selection for residential plantings
- Support tracking and data management of tree plantings
- Attend community tree planting events
- Develop lesson plans for youth forestry education
- Teach urban forestry education lessons in 3 recreation centers
Natural Spaces Management
- Organizational in Nature, prepares both graphic and written documentation that will support the operations and maintenance of the City’s natural areas.
- Document and categorize existing and planned natural areas in city parks and public spaces and kick off development of park prescriptions.
- Attend meetings to help understand and organize activities of stakeholders relating to natural areas management.
- Document and begin organization of a draft operations and maintenance plan for natural areas management.
– $600/week Living Allowance*
– Eligible for AmeriCorps Education Award of $1,718.25, to be received upon successful completion of position
*All allowances subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes.
It is SCA’s policy that all AmeriCorps-required background checks must return cleared results prior to the position’s start; this includes being fingerprinted for the FBI check. Otherwise, the AmeriCorps award will be removed or the position’s start date will be delayed due to non-compliance.
*For SCA's COVID-19 guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid
Position ID: PO-00735248
Expected Dates: June 15, 2023 - September 6, 2023
Detroit, MI 48201
Training Provided: Lunch and Learn for with other city of Detroit Interns. Mentorship from GSD staff and project managers.
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: Access to our parks! Lunch and Learn for with other city of Detroit Interns.
Handicap Accessible?: Yes
Main Area of Focus: Natural Resources Mgmt
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Not needed
Housing or Stipend Provided?
D. No housing is available
US Citizenship: Yes