This position requires that you become enrolled in AmeriCorps. If you are selected for this program, please be sure to accept AmeriCorps during the SCA offer process. No travel allowance will be offered for this position even if it is stated on your confirmation of acceptance. Due to Covid-19, events and trainings are subject to change in response to an increase in the number of cases in upstate New York. Such changes include but are not limited to: trainings being held remotely, elimination of large-scale gatherings, and a reduction of education programs.
New York’s Central Region is seeking an enthusiastic "Ladders to the Outdoors" Program Steward for the 2024 season.
Apply to be a SCA New York State Parks Corps member today!
About the NYS Parks Corps: Service activities range from providing environmental education and interpretation, to trail restoration, wildlife management, and organizing volunteer events. All 21 Parks Corps members will gather regularly in Central NY for SCA trainings and other professional development opportunities as they arise. (**See Covid caveat above for potential exceptions to 2024 events) Members share housing in groups of 1-4 members per location. NYS Parks Corps members serve under the direction of regional Parks staff to assist in accomplishing the mission of the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation; to provide safe and enjoyable recreational and interpretive opportunities for all New York State residents and visitors and to be responsible stewards of our valuable natural, historic, and cultural resources.
This position is located in New York’s Central Region, with a focus on the Central Region. The partner will provide accommodations in Green Lakes State Park which will be shared with other SCA New York State Parks Corps members.
Purpose of the Position: Ladders To The Outdoors (LTO) in the Central Region is a community outreach program, funded by the CNY Community Foundation and Gifford Foundation. The program connects youth from underserved communities to unique and historic parks and works closely with school districts, corporate partners, and local youth organizations to offer outdoor programming and recreational activities to connect kids with State Parks, outdoor recreation and nature, and foster a lifelong love of the outdoors.
Community Needs that the Position Serves: This program/position (1) connects people from all communities and backgrounds to state parks and historic sites through high-quality, inclusive, and engaging recreational and environmental educational programs and workforce development initiatives and (2) reaches new and underserved visitors, while breaking down barriers to access and creating life-long connections to the outdoors including nurturing the next generation of park stewards, volunteers, and employees. This program/position focuses heavily on environmental education for children; especially urban youth. A main message for all programming is stewardship of our natural, historic, and cultural resources.
Values and Standards of the Program/Position:
SCA’s mission is to build the next generation of conservation leaders and inspire lifelong stewardship of the environment and communities by engaging young people in hands-on service to the land.
The Mission of the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation is to provide safe and enjoyable recreation and interpretive opportunities for all New York State residents and visitors and to be responsible stewards of our valuable natural, historic and cultural resources.
AmeriCorps Member Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and/or participate in community engagement, outreach, and in-school programming, including Career Fairs and middle/high school mentoring.
- Assist with and develop promotional and marketing materials, including social media, brochures, videos and photo galleries.
- Assist with educational programs (e.g., Boys & Girls Club of America’s Ultimate Journey) for summer camps/groups that visit the park, including guided hikes, lake exploration, plant ID and wildlife viewing.
- Assist with outdoor recreation programs, including baseball, frisbee golf, volleyball and running sports.
- Assist Environmental staff with stewardship projects, including invasive species management, wildlife surveys, deer herbivory studies, creating pollinator habitats and monitoring eastern bluebird nest boxes.
- Coordinate and deliver aquatic resource education instruction that includes teaching youth about recreational fishing, lake ecology, fish & aquatic insect identification, and water quality assessment.
How the AmeriCorps Member’s Role Aligns with the Organization:
The mission of the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP) is to provide safe and enjoyable recreational and interpretive opportunities for all New York State residents and visitors and to be responsible stewards of our valuable natural, historic, and cultural resources.
This AmeriCorps role directly supports our Agency’s mission by offering the safe and enjoyable recreational and interpretive opportunities, as well as taking an active stewardship role towards our natural, historic, and cultural resources.
Performance Goals for the AmeriCorps Member:
Goal 1: Support the growth of the Ladders to the Outdoors program by creating educational, environmental stewardship and recreational opportunities while working with underserved communities, NYS Parks, and their partners.
Goal 2: Engage, support and mentor middle, high school and collegiate students seeking additional knowledge, experience, and inspiration in their education and job pathways.
Goal 3: Support the missions of the agency and its partner organizations by creating awareness and access to Ladders to the Outdoors opportunities.
- NYS Driver’s license & personal vehicle.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Two years of college or other post-secondary school experience in a relevant field.
Skills, Knowledge, and Training:
- Must enjoy working with people from all backgrounds; especially youth
- Highly motivated, dependable, hard-working, good communicator, and a team player.
- Able to work in a variety of weather conditions.
- Must be in good physical condition for fieldwork.
- Basic social media skills (e.g., Facebook and Instagram) and graphic design for social media posts and flyers.
- Outdoor skills: hiking, camping, fishing, kayaking, wildlife viewing, birding, etc.
- Basic Computer skills.
- Some environmental education or interpretation background, principles, basic environmental sciences, and history a plus.
Amount of the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award being offered for successful completion of the member’s term of service: $6895
Amount of living allowance member will receive: $350/week living allowance
Healthcare coverage (if applicable): Eligible for free health insurance
Childcare coverage (if applicable): Eligible for childcare assistance through AmeriCorps
Student loan forbearance and interest payments, (if the member qualifies): Eligible for Federal Student Loan forbearance and interest payment deferment through AmeriCorps for qualifying student loans.
Training Opportunities: All SCA NYS Parks Corps members receive Wilderness First Aid, CPR, Leave No Trace, Mental Health First Aid, and professional development. Environmental Education Stewards receive Certified Interpretive Guide training while Conservation Stewards receive Game of Logging 1 & 2. Optional trainings include NYSOEA, the American Canoe Association Quick Start Your Canoe Training, and other opportunities that arise through the SCA and the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
Position ID: PO-00736221
Expected Dates: January 22, 2024 - November 18, 2024
Green Lakes State Park
7900 Green Lakes Rd
Fayetteville, NY 13066
Handicap Accessible?: No
Main Area of Focus: Education and Interpretation
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Recommended
A personal vehicle is required to access amenities such as grocery store, libraries, etc. as well as travel to NYS Parks Corps trainings and events.
Housing or Stipend Provided?
A. Partner will provide suitable housing for the member
This position is located in New York’s Central Region. The partner will provide accommodations in Green Lakes State Park which will be shared with other SCA New York State Parks Corps members.
US Citizenship: Yes