The Biological Technician Intern will assist the permanent staff of the Red Wolf Recovery Program with tasks related to the recovery of red wolves in the wild within the Eastern North Carolina Red Wolf Population (ENC RWP).
– Independently conduct the care and feeding of captive red wolves and temporarily held wild canids in both permanent and temporary acclimation pens. Care and feeding consists of providing food and water on a set schedule, administering medications in their food, cleaning scats out of the enclosures, observing captive canids for signs of injury or illness, etc.
– Independently conduct the observation of landscape use and movement patterns of wild canids via tracks, remote cameras, scat, radio telemetry and red wolf sightings. Create maps of canid locations and review camera footage.
– Assist with the handling and processing of wild and captive canids including taking temperature, pulse and respiration, physical restraint, administering vaccines, taking body measurements, etc. and recording the associated data.
– Independently conduct routine maintenance of enclosures such as regularly inspecting enclosures, repairing fencing, filling in holes, etc. to maintain them in working order.
– Effectively and quickly communicate with permanent staff when there are issues that need to be addressed with individual canids or captive facilities that are beyond routine.
– Assist with other aspects of red wolf management, as directed.
– $500/week Living Allowance
– $1,100 Travel Allowance, paid once
– Eligible for Public Land Corps (PLC) hiring authority upon successful completion of position
*All allowances subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes.*
– Housing arrangements have been made in Manteo, consisting of individual private apartments within houses located near the office. All housing expenses will be covered by FWS, including the $1200 security deposit, relieving the intern of any financial responsibility in this regard.
AmeriCorps Background Check
It is SCA's policy that all AmeriCorps-required background checks must return cleared results prior to the position's start; this includes being fingerprinted for the FBI check. Otherwise, the AmeriCorps award will be removed or the position's start date will be delayed due to non-compliance.
*For SCA's COVID-19 guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid
Position ID: PO-00735131
Expected Dates: October 22, 2023 - April 21, 2024
100 Conservation Way
Manteo, NC 27954
Training Provided: Permanent staff will train the selected individual on the care and feeding of canids, along with conducting radio telemetry, non-invasive genetic sampling, remote camera use, etc.
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: Recreational opportunities include hiking, kayaking, bird watching, boating, all beach activities, etc. Educational opportunities include numerous museums and historical sites such as lighthouses, Wright Brothers National Memorial, NC Aquarium, etc.
Handicap Accessible?: No
Main Area of Focus: Wildlife Mgmt
AmeriCorps Eligible: Not Eligible
Driving Logistics: Required
Distance from housing to office where work vehicle must be parked.
Housing arrangements have been made in Manteo, consisting of individual private apartments within houses located near the office. All housing expenses will be covered by FWS, including the $1200 security deposit, relieving the intern of any financial responsibility in this regard.
US Citizenship: Yes