This position will be expected to aid in the center's mussel propagation and Barton Springs salamander care efforts primarily dealing with care and maintenance of adult and juvenile freshwater mussels held on station. You will be working with a team of biologists and expected to aid other programs and train others to aid with the mussel and salamander programs when needed. Work is performed in accordance with established procedures or special instructions, most often on personal initiative and observation. Must follow established safety rules and required practices for a safe work environment.
- collection of water quality from ponds and culture systems and adjusting flows or clean systems as needed
- measure food levels in ponds and systems and alter feeding levels accordingly
- feeding, cleaning, and maintenance of systems holding host fish
- constructing, cleaning, and maintaining systems for captive propagation and research of freshwater mussels
- host fish infection, filter examination for juvenile mussels, counting and measuring juvenile mussels using microscope cameras and software, and rearing of juveniles in a variety of systems
- ordering and maintaining live food sources.
- Barton Springs salamander care.
- removal, isolation and treatment of injured or diseased animals
- collecting and maintaining data and supplying information for monthly and annual reporting
- field collection and restoration activities
- freshwater mussel propagation and conservation internship at US Fish & Wildlife Service creating and submitting purchase requests
Living Allowance: $225.00 per week
Travel Allowance: $1,100.00 one-time
Commuter Allowance: $25 per week
Housing Allowance: $675.00 per month
The AmeriCorps Education Award available upon successful completion of this position is $3,172.50.
*All allowances subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes.
It is SCA’s policy that all AmeriCorps-required background checks must return cleared results prior to the position’s start; this includes being fingerprinted for the FBI check. Otherwise, the AmeriCorps award will be removed or the position’s start date will be delayed due to non-compliance.
Conditions of Employment
Required to demonstrate full vaccination status for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) with a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized or FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine.
Position ID: PO-00733915
Expected Dates: March 6, 2023 - September 3, 2023
500 East McCarty Lane
San Marcos, TX 78666
Training Provided: USFWS snorkel certification USFWS non-motorized boat certification Defensive Driving EEO/Diversity training FISSA training Water Quality meters Multisizer 4e particle counter Microscope with polarized light filters, camera and measuring
Main Area of Focus: Wildlife Mgmt
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Required
to commute to/from work station
Housing or Stipend Provided?
C.Partner will pay the SCA to provide housing allowance for the member.
US Citizenship: Yes