- Conduct checks of backcountry facilities (cabins, coastal shelters and water catchment systems)
- Document backcountry problems and report to appropriate division
- Document and report all potential visitor safety and law enforcement concerns
- Assist Resource Management Staff with projects such as sea turtle and nene protection
- Check backcountry permits and answer questions about the park to backcountry users
- Use education to correct actions that cause harm to wilderness values and notify Law Enforcement Rangers when a violation occurs
- Respond to and/or assist with backcountry emergencies such as searches, injuries etc.
- Assist with frontcountry projects such as eruption duty, parking control for special events etc.
- Assist interpretive staff in visitor center with visitor management
- Conduct trail projects and work hard outdoors
- Promote Leave No Trace (LNT) ethics to park users and attend training on this topic
- $275 – weekly living allowance
- $1,180 – one time RT travel allowance
- $775 – monthly housing allowance (to go toward housing provided by the Park)
- AmeriCorps eligible ($1,718.25)
*All allowances subject to applicable federal, state, and local taxes
It is SCA's policy that all AmeriCorps-required background checks must return cleared prior to the position's start; this includes being fingerprinted for the FBI check. Otherwise, the AmeriCorps award will be removed or the position's start date will be delayed due to non-compliance.
*For SCA's COVID-19 guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid
Position ID: PO-00734574
Expected Dates: May 29, 2023 - August 20, 2023
1 Crater Rim Drive
Hawaii National Park, HI 96718
Training Provided: Basic First Aid, Map and Compass, GPS, Wildland Fire, Search and Rescure, Leave No Trace, Trail Maintenance
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: Opportunities to work with the many different divisions within the park including: Resource Management, Interpretaion, Inventory and Monitoring, Endangered Hawksbill Turtle Recovery Project
Handicap Accessible?: No
Main Area of Focus: Backcountry/Trail work
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Recommended
Commuting if local.
US Citizenship: Yes