The Student Conservation Association (SCA) seeks Apprentice Crew Leaders for Summer 2021 national park crews as part of the SARA SHALLENBERGER BROWN GARDEN CLUB OF AMERICA NATIONAL PARKS CONSERVATION SCHOLARSHIP. Apprentice Crew Leaders (ACLs) will work to increase their leadership & field management experience in order to prepare them for a future field leader position. They will assist in the management, implementation, and reporting of a crew under the supervision of a mentor Crew Leader(s).
- Assist with pre-program preparations including student communication and any on-site duties including but not limited to agency meetings, supply purchasing, member orientation, and volunteer events.
- Assist with project logistics and supervision/motivation of crew members during service projects and recreational trips.
- Assist with the coordination and implementation of environmental education & team-building activities.
- Model appropriate work site practices according to SCA expectations and Leave No Trace principles.
- Assist with risk management duties including the completion of the crew Emergency Response Plans, Job Hazard Analyses, and minor incident reporting.
- Model risk management protocol including tool safety, equipment use, food handling, and hygiene.
- Assist with data and photo collection, program wrap-up, and reporting.
- 18-20 years old
- Successfully completed at least one SCA or other outdoor leadership program.
- Recommendation from a prior Crew Leader or SCA staff member.
- Attend & successfully complete local training.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Knowledge of tools and experience working on a variety of conservation projects.
- Attentive to detail and responsive to feedback.
- Self-motivated; flexible and creative problem-solving experience.
SCA Leader Training: Location and Dates TBD (transportation, food, lodging will be provided)
Local Training: Early Summer 2021
Program Dates: Summer 2021
Compensation: The scholarship is sponsored by the Garden Club of America (GCA) covers costs for training and transportation. ACLs will receive an hourly wage.
Position ID: PO-00731157
Main Area of Focus: Natural Resources Mgmt
AmeriCorps Eligible: Not Reviewed