Please upload a resume to your SCA application.
- Members will be engaged in a national network of professional resources and peer group.
- $ 400 weekly living allowance
- $ 800 monthly housing allowance
- $ 650 one time relocation support
- SCA Uniform Package
- Upon successful completion of service, a $4,546.50 AmeriCorps Education Award (1200 Minimum Service Hours)*
- AmeriCorps Member Assistance Program
- Trainings provided:
- AmeriCorps 101 and Prohibited Activities, suspension and termination policy
- AmeriCorps Members Service Agreement- Drug Free Workplace, Code of Conduct, Grievance Procedures, Disability Inclusion, Non-Discrimination
- Justice, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion
- Sexual Harassment & Maintaining a Positive Workplace
- Risk Management 101
- Life After AmeriCorps- resume building, applying for jobs etc.
- SCA Urban Green Cohort Professional Development
- Tree biology, identification, maintenance practices
- Volunteer and data management
*Note all Allowances (Living, Housing, Commuting, etc.) subject to federal and state tax.
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy has a strong focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice across our organization. All are welcome to apply and WPC seeks applications from black, indigenous, people of color(BIPOC)candidates. Our statement on this work can be found here https://waterlandlife.org/how-we-work/diversity-inclusion/
The Community Forestry Fellow placed with the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy (WPC) will participate in a full time (40 hours per week) hands-on immersion into tree care across urban, suburban, and rural contexts. The majority of service will be outside in all weather conditions. The fellow will also provide community education on benefits of urban tree canopy.
Training will be provided in tree biology, tree identification, planting techniques, basic tree maintenance practices, and volunteer and data management. Tool safety, job hazard assessment, and safe driving will also be included.
A personal vehicle is recommended, but not required.The fellow will be driving a WPC truck daily. Candidates MUST be able to pass a driving record background check.
The fellow will be working as a part of the Community Gardens and Greenspace Department at the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy. Duties will focus on supporting the Community Forestry program projects that WPC has undertaken within Allegheny and neighboring counties. To date, WPC has planted over 38,000 trees through the TreeVitalize Pittsburgh program and other initiatives. The fellow will be responsible for assisting in tree plantings(spring and fall) and tree care activities throughout the growing season (May-August) for newly planted trees. Activities include but are not limited to: tree watering, weeding, and mulching, during tree establishment periods. Monitoring for signs of pest, disease, vandalism, and other stressors also will be required. Other Community Forestry projects that the fellow may assist with include tree planting events, volunteer maintenance events, collecting and updating databases or spreadsheets, assisting with event planning, and more.
The fellow will also provide educational outreach to community members during tree planting/care events to teach the benefits of urban tree canopy. The fellow will educate an estimated 800 community members during the position.
While this position is focused on community forestry, this person will be integrated into the larger intern and fellows program and have opportunities to participate with Programming, Watershed Conservation, Falling Water, Land Conservation, and Stewardship staff.
Preferred candidates will have at least one previous full-time internship experience and a background in one or multiple of: biology, forestry, ecology, nursery care, landscaping, tree plantings and tree care, farming, urban planning, or a related field. Successful candidates will demonstrate an ability to positively collaborate in a tight team in a hands-on workplace and an ability to adapt to daily project execution needs.
5%: Other duties include regular day-to-day tasks of running an office, such as: scheduling meetings; fielding phone calls and emails. General office work will be kept to a minimum, so that the Fellow can focus their time gaining relevant experience.
Hours: M-F, 7am-3pm. Saturday work should be expected to lead volunteer events. Work week will be adjusted accordingly when Saturday work is needed.
Member Qualifications(Essential Functions)
- Must be eligible to serve as an AmeriCorps Member:
- Be a citizen, permanent resident, or national of the United States;
- Be at least 18 years or older;
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent or actively working to obtain one;
- Be willing to undergo National Service Criminal History Check, including criminal background, sex offender and FBI checks;
- Ability to pass SCA’s AmeriCorps criminal history background check.
2023 Tentative Schedule
*Please note – this is a tentative schedule. Dates may change, but training opportunities will remain the same.
- 03/20/23 – 03/24/23 National Direct Program Orientation (Virtual)
- 03/27/2023- 11/10/2023: Field Season
- 11/27/2023 – 12/1/2023: Last week of service & Final wrap up
M-F, 7am-3pm, 40 hours per week. Members serve approximately 40 hours a week for a period of 37 weeks. Saturday work should be expected to lead volunteer events. Work week will be adjusted accordingly when Saturday work is needed. Members must achieve a minimum of 1200 hours of service within 37 weeks. Specific weekly position schedules may vary depending on the needs of the site.
This position is part of a specialized SCA AmeriCorps program and if you are selected, you will be serving as an SCA AmeriCorps member.
It is our strong belief that equal opportunity for all members is central to the continued success of our programs. We will not discriminate against an applicant because of race, religious creed, religion, color, sex, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, age, physical disability, mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity characteristics or expressions in selections, terminations and or recommendations. Opportunity is provided to all applicants in the basis of qualifications and program requirements. Upon request, reasonable accommodations will be provided to applicants during the selection process and to members during service.
Position ID: PO-00734559
Expected Dates: March 20, 2023 - December 1, 2023
800 Waterfront Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Main Area of Focus: Natural Resources Mgmt
AmeriCorps Eligible: Eligible
Driving Logistics: Recommended
To get to and from the office and some volunteer events.
Housing or Stipend Provided?
C.Partner will pay the SCA to provide housing allowance for the member.