U.S. Forest Service Facilities Internship
Are you ready for an unforgettable summer? Join a cohort of Student Conservation Association (SCA) interns helping the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) to collect facilities data in the southern region! We are looking for detail-oriented, organized, and resourceful team members who look forward to working in the remote and beautiful National Forests Region 8 has to offer. If you’ve been looking for an internship with less cell phone service, and more traveling, bagged lunches, and mountain views – this is it!
This 12-week, SCA-managed internship is a unique opportunity for interns to work closely with USFS staff at the District, Forest, and Regional levels. Interns will work in pairs in an assigned Forest to travel to existing facilities and collect two types of data: Facilities Master Planning (FMP) data and Facilities Condition Assessment (FCA) data. Responsibilities will include:
- FMP Data Collection: using a tablet and ArcGIS Survey123 and Field Maps to collect site and mapping data, and site photographs
- FCA Data Collection: performing building inspections using established procedures, identifying needed maintenance or repairs, calculating quantities of work, and recording data in USFS database
- Areas of assessment include but are not limited to: building envelope, structural elements, interior soundness, health and safety requirements, accessibility requirements, building code compliance.
- May 22, 2023 – August 11, 2023
- Relocation travel allowance: $650 (paid once)
- Living and commuting allowance: $400/week (paid bi-weekly)
- Housing allowance: $800/month (paid monthly)
- SCA & USFS Training
- Housing Funding – Each team will have $2350/month available to use for housing related expenses while traveling.
- SCA rented vehicle – Each team will have a vehicle and fuel budget provided by SCA for the duration of the field portion of the program.
We welcome all backgrounds and want to hear from you!
- Must be 21+ years old and possess U.S. citizenship to apply
- Interns must possess a valid driver's license as well as a clean driving record
- Current First Aid/CPR certification is required and will be provided during training
- Preference for applicants currently working towards a degree in civil engineering, architecture, landscape architecture, GIS, facilities management, or construction management, but applicants with relevant experience are welcome to apply.
Application Deadline: March 1, 2023
Visit https://thesca.force.com/members/NewRegistration and use the Application Code “PO-00734523” when creating a MySCA profile. Complete the Basic Application and the Conservation Corps & Internship Application. Applications submitted after March 1st will be considered if positions are still available. If you have questions, please feel free to contact Tiffany Hergett, SCA Program Manager, at [email protected].
Position ID: PO-00734523
Expected Dates: May 22, 2023 - August 11, 2023
160 Zillicoa St
Asheville, NC 28801
Main Area of Focus: Geographic Info Systems (GIS, includes GPS)
AmeriCorps Eligible: Not Eligible
Driving Logistics: Not needed
Housing or Stipend Provided?
B. Partner will pay The SCA to provide housing for the member
US Citizenship: Yes