The Student Conservation Association in partnership with the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR), is seeking outgoing individuals to join the Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps as Project Leaders for the 2023 field season. Project Leaders train, supervise, and administer a crew of five young adults as they work on a variety of conservation projects, career development, and environmental education. Project Leaders work closely with SCA and DCNR staff to ensure a successful and meaningful season for their crews. This is a Full-Time contract position.
Now hiring Project Leaders for the following cities: Altoona, Dubois, Meadville, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Wilkes-Barre, and Williamsport
*The Philadelphia crew is a Roving Trail Crew
*Harrisburg will host a local crew and a Roving Resource Management Crew
Position Dates: 2/27/23 – 12/8/23
*Project Leader training will take place 2/27//23 – 3/10/23. A portion of this training will be on-site in PA (exact location TBD). This is a paid, mandatory training.
Schedule: Crew hours are Monday-Wednesday 7:00am-5:00pm, Thursday 7:00am-4:30pm. *Crew leaders may need to complete tasks outside of those hours
Roving Crews Schedule: Monday-Monday (8 days on with 6 days off)
Compensation: $800/wk, employer-sponsored benefits, paid trainings, career-development opportunities
- Act as a Crew Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, and guiding crew dynamics
- Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environment stewardship
- Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
- Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
CONSERVATION PROJECTS MAY INCLUDE:
- Trail maintenance and construction including: implementing water management techniques, brushing, blazing, reroutes,
- Habitat Restoration including: invasive species identification and treatments, herbicide applications, Tree Planting, installing Riparian Buffers
- Facility maintenance projects including: painting, staining, carpentry, plumbing, electrical
- Constructions projects such as: bridges, stairs, picnic tables, pavilions, concrete, and roofing
- Fencing and Boundary Line Maintenance
- Experience working with youth or young adults ages 18-30, teaching or environmental education a plus. Strong Candidates will have 1-2 years of leadership/teaching experience.
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred- i.e., trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening.
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements, and must occasionally lift and/ or move 40 pounds or more
- Current Wilderness First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of training
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have the ability to legally work in the US
- Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
- Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 12/31/2022
Interested candidates for all Project Leader positions should apply to this posting through the SCA website. Applicants should also send a resume and a brief statement of interest including which program city you are intersted in to: PA Outdoor Corps Young Adult Program Manager Stephen Luteran: [email protected]
More Information on the Outdoor Corps can be found here:
*For SCA's COVID-19 guidance, please refer to www.thesca.org/covid
Position ID: PO-00734768
Training Provided: Conservation work skills and relevant certifications
Educational/Recreational Opportunities: Environmental education programming during service term
Main Area of Focus: Backcountry/Trail work
AmeriCorps Eligible: Not Eligible
Driving Logistics: Not needed
Housing or Stipend Provided?
D. No housing is available
US Citizenship: Yes