The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks young adult interns 18+ or older interested in conservation service work. The Kenilworth Crew will work alongside National Park Service staff and local SCA Program staff and consist of 4 crew members with 1 crew leader supervisor.
Program dates: 10/9/23 – 11/17/23
Schedule: Monday – Friday 7:30 am – 3:30 pm
Pay Rate: $17.00/hour, bi-weekly pay schedule
Members will support the National Park Service staff at Kenilworth Park & Aquatic Gardens with important trail restoration and rehabilitation projects. The three members will work alongside an SCA crew leader.
Project tasks may include:
- Maintenance to trails throughout the park, surrounding the garden ponds, and Anacostia River Trail areas surrounding Kenilworth Park & Aquatic Gardens
- Support resurfacing projects throughout park trails using a variety of ground materials
- Incorporation of landscaping elements (berms and plantings, for example) to help with safety and sustainability of trails and pond banks
- Support invasive plant removal efforts
- Installation of signage and bike racks
Training may include:
- Basic first aid and CPR training
- Field tool use
- Plant ID
- Trail building and maintenance skills
- Safety and risk management
Program best practices, tool usage, safety, and job hazard assessments will be part of training and daily briefings. All members will learn to work in new environments, outdoor spaces, in a crew-model with new people, all while learning new field skills. Being open to new experiences is a huge advantage for crew members.
- Earn a stipend or wage for your work
- Explore green jobs and career opportunities
- Complete important conservation projects at a National Park
- Participate in professional development and skill building as a team
- Alumni benefits after successful completion of program
- SCA gear package
APPLICATION: Once you have submitted your application and at least two references, please email [email protected] to confirm your application has been submitted.
- Click Login or Sign Up.
- Create a profile, complete the Basic application, Conservation Corps & Internship Application, and Final Application.
- IMPORTANT! Once your application is complete, you MUST email [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line. This is the only way for us to know your application has been submitted.
COVID-19: Visit the following website for more information regarding SCA's COVID-19 Management Policies: www.thesca.org/covid.
Position ID: PO-00735705
Expected Dates: October 9, 2023 - November 17, 2023
1505 Ancostia Ave NE
Washington, DC 20019
Main Area of Focus: Natural Resources Mgmt
AmeriCorps Eligible: Not Eligible