The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks DC high schoolers—especially in the Ward 7 and Ward 8 communities—in conservation service work. The 2023 DC Youth Tree Ambassadors will work alongside our partners, Casey Trees, local SCA Program staff, and consist of 5 crew members with 1 crew leader supervisor plus an additional responsible Casey Trees staff member.
Program dates: Oct 2023 – June 2024
- On select Saturdays of the 2023-2024 DCPS school year
- Service days will be from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Pay Rate: $12.50/hour, bi-weekly pay schedule
This high school crew will work alongside Casey Trees staff on a variety of projects. All crew members will go through training by SCA and Casey Trees staff to complete different projects throughout the program including:
- Engaging community members through tree conservation outreach efforts
- Outreach efforts may include canvassing, event tabling, or tree walk community events
- Help connect community members to resources like Urban Foresters that help plant trees beneficial for the local environment
Training may include:
- Community outreach skills
- Field tool use
- Plant ID
- Trail building and maintenance skills
- Safety and risk management
Program best practices, tool usage, safety, and job hazard assessments will be part of training and daily briefings. All members will learn to work in new environments, outdoor spaces, in a crew-model with new people, all while learning new field skills. Being open to new experiences is a huge advantage for crew members.
- Earn a stipend or wage for your work
- Explore green jobs and career opportunities
- Complete important conservation projects at a National Park
- Participate in professional development and skill building as a team
- Alumni benefits after successful completion of program
- SCA gear package
APPLICATION: Once you have submitted your application and at least two references, please email [email protected] to confirm your application has been submitted.
- Click Login or Sign Up.
- Create a profile, complete the Basic application, Community Crew Application, and Final Application.
- IMPORTANT! Once your application is complete, you MUST email [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line. This is the only way for us to know your application has been submitted.
COVID-19: Visit the following website for more information regarding SCA's COVID-19 Management Policies: www.thesca.org/covid.
Position ID: PO-00735819
Expected Dates: September 30, 2023 - December 22, 2023
3030 12th Street NE
Washington, DC 20017
Main Area of Focus: Environmental Education
AmeriCorps Eligible: Not Reviewed