Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks Apprentice Crew Leaders (ACLs) for the Pittsburgh Summer Community program. Apprentice Crew Leaders will work to increase their leadership & field management experience in order to prepare them for a Field Leader position in the future. They will assist in the management, implementation, and reporting of a high school student crew under the supervision of a mentor Crew Leader(s).
Program Dates: June 1st through August 8th, 2018
- Assist with pre-program preparations including student communication and any on-site duties (agency meetings, food shopping, camp set-up, member orientation, volunteer events, etc).
- Assist with supervision and motivation of high school students during field-based projects, such as trail building, invasive removal and habitat restoration.
- Assist with the coordination and teaching of environmental education & team-building activities.
- Assist with risk management duties including the completion of the crew Emergency Response Plan, Job Hazard Analysis, and minor incident reporting.
- Model SCA Risk Management Protocol including Take 5, tool safety and equipment use, food handling, and hygiene.
- Help to create a fun and productive atmosphere for crew members.
- Assist with the management of food, budget, gear, and travel logistics.
- Assist with program wrap-up & reporting.
- Must be 19-20 years old (one year out of high school), some exceptions may apply.
- Must have ability to legally work in the US.
- Successfully completed two SCA Youth programs, including at least one in the Pittsburgh area.
- Recommendation from a prior Crew Leader or SCA Staff member and demonstrated passion for the SCA mission.
- Must be able to attend and successfully complete Crew Leader Orientation & Conservation Skills Training: June 1st-25th
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Knowledge of tools and experience working on a variety of conservation projects
- Attentive to detail and responsive to feedback
- Self-motivated; ﬂexible and creative problem-solving experience
- Desire to mentor, inspire, and engage youth (ages 14-18)
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
Compensation: Wage is $11/hr, with 40 hour weeks during training (June 1-25) and 32 hour weeks during the field season (total of $3,432 for the summer).
To Apply: Send a resume and letter of interest to Darren Gruetze, Pittsburgh Program Manager at [email protected]
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org