Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization, seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire youth members for the Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps. Crew leaders train, supervise and administer crews of 10 members, between the ages of 15 and 18, working on a variety of outdoor conservation projects, including trail maintenance, vegetation management, invasive species removal, park maintenance and light construction. Two leaders are assigned to each crew.
Employment Term: Training in early June, leader term early July to late August
PA Crew Locations: Erie, Meadville, Pittsburgh, Uniontown, Altoona, McConnellsburg, Renovo, Williamsport, Harrisburg, York, and Reading, St. Marys, Wilkes-Barre, Philadelphia
- Supervise 10 members between the ages of 15 and 18 in an outdoor setting
- Provide technical oversight of field work to ensure quality project outcomes
- Promote leadership development on crew through training and education
- Mitigate project and member risks to ensure safe working conditions
- Coordinate crew operations, including food, equipment and vehicle logistics
- Manage crew administration tasks, including member timesheets, budget tracking, project documentation and report writing
- Foster relationship with agency partners and act as liaison between crew, agency and SCA staff
- Represent SCA in a positive and professional manner
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Must be available to attend week-long leader training in early June
- Current Basic First Aid & CPR certification required by start of program
- Experience working with youth or young adults, with outdoor leadership or education a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, preferred i.e. trail maintenance and construction, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must secure your own housing in your program city
Compensation: $15/hr, paid training
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org