Texas Prescribed Fire Corps Crew Leader
Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA) seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire young adults for the Preservation Fire Corps. Under supervision of the US Forest Service, the crew will conduct prescribed burns, prepare fire lines, and complete other conservation tasks. The leader will work and live with a crew of 4 members (18+). These crew members will come from diverse backgrounds and may not have fire experience. The leader must have a current red card and 1 – 2 years of wildfire or prescribed burning experience. In addition to having strong conservation work skills, we are looking for a leader that is emotionally mature and can motivate and inspire his or her crew members.
Program Dates: Jan 5 – May 15, 2020
Training Dates: Jan 5 – 10, 2020
- Act as a crew leader for three young adults (18+) to inspire and teach crew members, promote healthy group dynamics, and facilitate effective and productive teamwork;
- Function as a technical advisor, assisting in training corps members to complete quality work with guidance and direction from the US Forest Service supervisor;
- Serve as a partnership representative managing relationships with the agency partner and ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects;
- Perform tasks as a program administrator by communicating with SCA staff, completing documentation and managing a budget; and
- Work variable hours (long days and/or weekend), at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, in varying weather conditions, and under physically demanding circumstances.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Current Red Card certification with 1 – 2 years of fire and ecological land management experience;
- Experience managing crews of young adults in an outdoor setting and working with environmental agencies to plan and complete a project;
- Ability to operate various types of equipment in a safe and efficient manner (e.g. chainsaw, tractor, two-way radio, etc.);
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in conservation, land management and natural resource preservation;
- Ability to complete tasks independently with respect to timeline(s);
- Working knowledge of common software applications (e.g.; Word, Excel, Web browsers); and
- Clear communication via written, spoken, and graphical means.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age;
- Must have ability to legally work in the US;
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required;
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards;
- Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader Training: Jan 2020;
- Current First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of the season;
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more.
Compensation: $650/week total salary
Housing and food are not provided
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and three (3) references. Once your application is complete, please email [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org