Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire students for the programs.
Training Dates: 3/20/23 – 3/24/23 (paid mandatory training)
Program Dates: 3/27/23 – 10/27/23
Location (City and State): Rowe, MA
This position will be responsible for daily management and supervision of Massachusetts Conservation Corps. Members in both backcountry and front country sites with members 18 & older. The Project Leader will manage member and group safety and development while working on conservation projects throughout Massachusetts. This position will represent SCA on-site and coordinate with Agency partner on designated project(s). Project Leaders are an integral part of the success of our teams, and they will be expected to strive for proactive communication, create a culture of growth, and professionally represent themselves and SCA
Specifically, the Crew Leader will:
- Act as a Crew Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, and guiding crew dynamics
- Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
- Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
- Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
- Experience working with youth or young adults, teaching or environmental education a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e., trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements, and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Current Wilderness First Responder certification & CPR required by the start of training (or the ability to attend the training onsite with members).
- Must be able to attend Crew Leader training: N/A
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have the ability to legally work in the US
- Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
- Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must have reliable vehicle (mileage reimbursed at IRS recommended rate of $0.625 per mile)
Leader Benefits and Compensation:
- $700 weekly stipend
- Housing is available at Rowe, MA at the program site. Field based meals are included, utilities laundry and Wi-Fi available onsite.
- Leader will have opportunity to participate Level 1 & 2 Game of Logging Training, SCA Rigging Training, Carpentry Training, and Wilderness First Responder Training alongside MACC Members.
Submit Application HERE
The Student Conservation Association, Inc. is an Equal-Opportunity Employer.