Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA) seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire young adults for an all-female-identifying fire crew. The leader will work and live with a crew of four female-identifying members (18+). The crew will work closely with US Forest Service staff with a focus on fuels reduction and prescribed burning work. The crew will prepare USFS lands for burning and conduct prescribed burning. The crew will also work on other conservation tasks as identified by the USFS throughout the season. This crew will be a roving, camping crew, with a home base in Greenville, SC.
Crew members will come from diverse backgrounds and may not have fire experience. Ideally, we are looking for a leader with chainsaw certification (S212) and experience, a current red card, and 1+ years of wildfire or prescribed burning experience. In addition to having strong conservation work skills, we are looking for a leader that is emotionally mature and can motivate and inspire their crew members.
Applicants will be accepted on a rolling basis, but those submitted by Sept 1, 2022, will be given priority. Interviews will start in early Sept 2022.
Program Dates: Jan 2023 – Apr/May 2023
Training Dates: Virtual training 12/12- 12/16
Location: Roving and camping crew, homebase in Greenville, SC
- Act as a crew leader for four female-identifying young adults (18+) to inspire and teach crew members, promote healthy group dynamics, and facilitate effective and productive teamwork;
- Function as a technical advisor, assisting in training corps members to complete quality work with guidance and direction from the onsite supervisor;
- Serve as a partnership representative managing relationships with the agency partner and ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects;
- Perform tasks as a program administrator by communicating with SCA staff, completing documentation and managing a budget; and
- Work variable hours (long days and/or weekend), at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, in varying weather conditions, and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Female-identifying, 21+ years of age;
- Must have ability to legally work in the US;
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required;
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards;
- Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader Training (TDB, Sept 2022 tentatively);
- Current First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of the season;
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Chainsaw experience (S212 certification);
- Red card certification (refresher can be provided if needed);
- 1 – 2 years of prescribed burning or wildland fire experience;
- Wilderness First Aid (WFA) or Wilderness First Responder (WFR);
- Experience managing crews of young adults in an outdoor setting and working with environmental agencies to plan and complete a project;
- Ability to operate various types of equipment in a safe and efficient manner (e.g. ATV, two-way radio, etc.);
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in conservation, land management and natural resource preservation;
- Ability to complete tasks independently with respect to timeline(s);
- Working knowledge of common software applications (e.g.; Word, Excel, Web browsers); and
- Clear communication via written, spoken, and graphical means.
- $800/week salary, depending on experience
- Housing and field-based meals
- Travel stipend (up to $1150)
To Apply Click HERE
Beginning on 1/18/22, all new SCA program participants are required to provide proof of up-to-date vaccination against COVID-19. Per CDC guidance, up to date vaccination now includes all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when indicated. For example, if someone has completed the primary series but is not yet indicated for a booster shot, they are considered up to date. Once a person is indicated for a booster (6 months after Pfizer or Moderna primary series, 2 months after J&J primary series), full and up-to-date vaccination includes the completed booster shot. Visit the following website for more information, including medical and religious exemptions: www.thesca.org/covid.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.