The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire high school students for the Houston Community Conservation Crew program.
Program Dates: 4 weeks in July, 2017
- Supervise and manage a diverse and inclusive crew of high school youth during the work day and provide an emotionally and physically safe environment
- Train and supervise crew members in all aspects of the service project (including safe and proper use of tools, trail construction and maintenance, habitat restoration, construction projects, etc.)
- Facilitate worksite logistics and project schedules
- Maintain all tools, equipment, medical and ﬁrst aid supplies
- Plan and teach environmental education lessons
- Maintain relationship with site partner while managing logistics related to the site: partner needs, schedule, projects, and crew training per project.
- Manage a budget and purchase the gear and supplies needed for projects
- Organize and lead recreational camping trip after completion of work project. Typical trip will include backpacking, hiking, canoeing, sightseeing, fishing, etc
- Communicate with full time SCA ﬁeld staff as required and as needed
- Complete all administrative aspects of the crew including but not limited to required pre- and post-program paperwork, daily medical and work logs, equipment inventories, and final reports and documentation
- Follow all SCA policies & procedures as required for the position
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training TBD
- Current First Aid certification & CPR required by the start of the training
- Experience working with youth or young adults (ages 14-18), teaching in an educational environment a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, preferred i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must have personal housing arrangements in program city
Paid Crew Leader Training & Work Skills (travel, food & lodging provided). Crew leader pay will amount to $545 per week.
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application. For more specific information you may contact Brandi Martin at 713.520.1835 or [email protected]
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org