Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire young adults for the GWMP & Wolf Trap Invasive Species Team.
This project is to introduce a small team of young adults to a number of aspects of natural resources management, using hands on projects in selected projects at George Washington Memorial Parkway (GWMP) and Wolf Trap National Park. Under the leadership of natural resources professional staff at GWMP, a small field team of young adults will work with the staff at both parks to identify, target and control invasive plant populations throughout areas of the George Washington Memorial Parkway. The team will also monitor previously treated areas and identify and map new problem areas. Finally, the team will work a variety of habitat restoration and species diversification projects. There will be five young adult members and one crew leader on this team.
Crew Leader: June 4th-June 14th
Chainsaw Training: 3 day training taking taking place between: June 18th-June 29th
Program Dates: July 2nd- August 10th, 2018
- Act as a Crew Manager guiding crew dynamics and facilitating teamwork
- Function as a Technical Advisor assisting in training corps members to complete quality work
- Serve as a Partnership Representative managing relationships with agency partner and ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects
- Perform tasks as a Program Administrator by communicating with SCA staff, completing documentation and managing a budget
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training: June 4th-June 18th, 2018
- Current First Aid certification & CPR required by the start of the training
- Experience working with youth or young adults (18-25), teaching in an educational environment a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, preferred i.e. plant identification, invasive species removal, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Must be able to find housing in the Washington, DC metro area
Compensation: $625/week total salary plus chainsaw training and certiciation
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org