Greenbelt National Park – Crew Leader
Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire Washington DC area young adult members (18+) for the 2021 DC area fall programs. The crew will be working in Greenbelt National Park in Maryland.
Program Dates: October 11 – November 19, 2021
Work Schedule: Monday- Friday, 7:30am - 3:30pm. Up to five hours per week of administrative work outside of normal work hours.
Mentor a crew of 4 young adult members (18 years of age or older), to complete much needed conservation service projects. The crew’s focus will be on restoring the boardwalk trail that runs throughout the park. The crew will also help with additional maintenance project as assigned by the site partner. Crew Leaders must have strong experience teaching or working with youth, be able to maintain a positive work environment and motivate members, and be willing to work outdoors. Project monitoring and data collection will also be required throughout the season. Leader will also be responsible for completing a final report of work accomplishments.
Specifically, the Crew Leader will:
- Act as a Crew Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, and guiding crew dynamics
- Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
- Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
- Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
- Experience working with young adults (18 years of age or older), teaching or environmental education a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Current First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of training
- Must be able to attend Crew Leader training
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
- Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must have personal housing arrangements in the Washington DC metro area.
Compensation: $675/week total salary, paid training
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and two (2) references. Once your application is complete, you MUST email [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line. This is the only way for us to know your application has been submitted.
FOR HIGHEST CONSIDERATION APPLY BY Friday, September 10th. Applicants are highly encouraged to apply early as positions are filled on a rolling basis.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org