Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire six youth members through Fort Monroe National Monument’s historic preservation efforts. Work includes: Repairing historic structures through carpentry, painting, masonry and other historic preservation techniques.
Program Dates: 6/8/2017 – 8/31/2017 (Includes Leader Training)
Location: Fort Monroe, VA
- Ensure successful, quality, and timely work for a six person team
- Guide crew dynamics and facilitate teamwork
- Actively manage project/member risk to maintain a safe work environment
- Assist in the technical skills training of corps members
- Manage the quality & technique of work performed
- Promote leadership development within team and evaluate success & potential
- Manage relationship with agency partners
- Work collaboratively with agency on program logistics
- Ensure successful and timely completion of work project
- Communicate with SCA field support staff
- Complete required program reporting and documentation
- Manage budget and necessary purchasing for crew and project
- Ensure compliance with all SCA Risk Management policies & procedures
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Current First Aid certification & CPR required by the start of the training
- Experience working with youth or young adults (ages 14-18), teaching in an educational environment a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, preferred i.e. carpentry, historic preservation, trail maintenance, trail construction, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must have personal housing arrangements in Fort Monroe, but a housing stipend is provided, see compensation details for more information.
Compensation: $545 per week and $1000 per month in housing stipends.
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile; when prompted complete the Basic, Leader, and Final application sections. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org