Donate FAQs

How is my contribution dollar used?

At SCA, about 86 cents of every dollar you contribute goes to the direct cost of our programs. About five cents goes for the cost of fundraising and the remaining nine cents goes to cover the cost of administering the organization.

Where does SCA support come from?

The National Park Service (and other agency partners) requires SCA to raise funds from the public to match the grants they make to us for the cost of our volunteer programs. Generally, they pay 77 percent of the costs to us and we have to raise the other 23 percent. That 23% comes from people like you, foundations, clubs, and corporations.

How does SCA rank among other nonprofit organizations?

SCA’s efficiency ranks us among America’s top conservation charities according to the American Institute of Philanthropy and Charity Navigator.

May I see a copy of SCA’s 501(c)3 Letter, the Annual Report and the IRS Form 990?

Both the Annual Report and the most recent IRS Form 990 are available to the public.

What time period is reflected on SCA’s financials?

SCA recently underwent a change in its fiscal year cycle between 2011 & 2012. SCA’s fiscal year 2011 was actually a six-month period from October 1, 2010 to March 31, 2011. As a result, the FY11 financials reflect only a six-month period, not an entire twelve-month fiscal year. The fiscal year was adjusted to better align with SCA’s business cycle. If you have any questions about our financials or the information contained within, please contact Sharon Mezzack, Controller.

Is SCA accredited by the BBB?


I’m on a fixed income, but want to do more than my checks allow. Are there other ways to give?

There are many ways to support SCA that allow donors to take advantage of underutilized assets (like low yielding but appreciated securities, life insurance policies that are no longer needed, or retirement plans that can be put to use for charitable purposes). Some SCA giving programs even allow donors to increase their own income stream while helping to sustain SCA’s conservation work and generating income tax deductions. Please don’t hesitate to contact us at 888-722-9675, ext 1600 or email us at [email protected].

How do I know if SCA is a registered charity in my state?

Student Conservation Association’s name, address and telephone number may be found on the enclosed letter. You may obtain a copy of Student Conservation Association’s financial report by writing to Student Conservation Association (SCA). Student Conservation Association may be exempt from registration as a charitable organization in a number of states and jurisdictions. However, if Student Conservation Association is required to register and comply with laws related to charitable contributions, residents of the following states may obtain information as follows: ARIZONA: Financial information filed with the Secretary of the State, State Capitol, 1700 West Washington, 7th Floor, Phoenix, AZ 85007-2808, is available for public inspection or by calling toll-free, 1-800-458-5842. CALIFORNIA: The official registration and financial information regarding Student Conservation Association can be obtained from the Attorney General’s Website, COLORADO: Student Conservation Association’s registration number is 20043010625; Colorado residents may obtain copies of registration and financial documents from the Secretary of State by calling (303) 894-2680 or at FLORIDA: FL Registration # CH5906. A copy of the official registration and financial information may be obtained from the division of consumer services by calling toll-free within the state, 1-800-435-7352 or 1-800-FLA-Yuda por asistencia en Espanol or visiting GEORGIA: A full and fair description of the programs of Student Conservation Association and our financial statement summary are available upon request at the office and phone number indicated above. ILLINOIS: Contracts and reports regarding Student Conservation Association are on file with the Illinois Attorney General. KANSAS: Student Conservation Association’s Kansas registration number is 251-053-5. The annual financial report for the preceding fiscal year is on file with the Secretary of State, 1st Floor, Memorial Hall, 120 SW 10th Ave., Topeka, KS 66612. MARYLAND: Copies of documents and information submitted by Student Conservation Association under the Maryland Charitable Solicitations Act are available for the cost of copies and postage from the Secretary of State, 16 Francis St., Annapolis, MD 21401. Phone: 1-410-974-5534 (1-800-825-4510 within Maryland). MISSIPPI: The official Registration and financial information of Student Conservation Association may be obtained from the Mississippi Secretary of State’s office by calling 1-888-236-6167. NEW JERSEY: Information filed with the Attorney General concerning this charitable solicitation and the percentage of contributions received by the charity during the last reporting period that were dedicated to the charitable purpose may be obtained from the Attorney General of the State of New Jersey by calling (201) 504-6215 and are available at NEW YORK: New York residents may obtain a copy of Student Conservation Association’s annual report by writing to the Office of the Attorney General, Department of Law, Charities Bureau, 120 Broadway, New York, NY 10271. NORTH CAROLINA: Financial information about Student Conservation Association and a copy of its license are available from the State Solicitation Licensing Section at (888) 830-4989 (within North Carolina) or (919) 814-5400 (outside of North Carolina). PENNSYLVANIA: The official registration and financial information of Student Conservation Association may be obtained from the Pennsylvania Department of State by calling toll-free, within Pennsylvania, 1-800-732-0999. Registration does not imply endorsement. VIRGINIA: A financial statement for the most recent fiscal year is available upon request from the Virginia State Office of Consumer Affairs, Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, P.O. Box 526, Richmond, VA 23218; 1-804-786-1343. VERMONT: How Contributions Are Allocated Between Charity and Fundraiser – For information on how much of your contribution goes to Student Conservation Association, contact the Vermont Consumer Assistance Program, Morrill Hall, UVM, Burlington VT 05405, tel. 1-800-649-2424, or the Vermont Attorney General’s Internet website, WASHINGTON: A notice of solicitation required by law is on file with the Charities Division, Office of the Secretary of State, State of Washington, Olympia, WA 98504-0422. You may obtain addditional financial disclosure information by contacting the Secretary of State at 1-800-332-4483 or online at WEST VIRGINIA: West Virginia residents may obtain a summary of the registration and financial documents from the Secretary of State, State Capitol, Charleston, WV 25305.


Student Conservation Association