Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire for the Desert Restoration Corps program.
Fall Season Dates:
Leader Start Date: 8/23/2021
Members Start Date: 8/30/2021
Members End Date: 11/19/2021
Leader End Date: 11/26/2021
Program Location: Multiple Locations in Northern California; Sinkyone Wilderness, Klamath National Forest
Responsible for daily management and supervision of a Conservation Corps project in either a backcountry or front-country site with members 18 & older. Manage member and group safety and development while working on conservation projects. Represent SCA on-site and coordinate with Agency partner(s) on designated project(s).
This SCA Team will undertake two projects; a forest-wide signage project on the Klamath National Forest and an ecological restoration/fuels reduction project in coastal prairie habitat a Sinkyone Wilderness State Park. The team will start on the Klamath NF and will repair and/or replace kiosks and information display panels at 29 campgrounds, 13 days use areas, 50 trailheads, and 12 river access sites. Signage will improve Leave No Trace, covid-19, and river safety messaging for the public. The team will then move to Sinkyone Wilderness State Park along wildest stretch of the California Coast, known as the “Lost Coast.”
At Sinkyone, the team will restore coastal prairie habitat by removing invasive non-native plant species and native scrub and trees that have encroached into past historic prairie boundaries. The introduction of invasive non-native plant species and the encroachment of shrubs and trees, such as coyote brush and Douglas-fir, has reduced suitable habitat for many wildlife species including the resident herd of Roosevelt elk. It has also increased unsafe fuel loads which will be reduced to create safer conditions for the surrounding communities of Whitethorn and Whale Gulch. Invasive non-native plants will be removed by hand using hand tools such as a weed wrenches or shovels. Plants will be dug out of the ground to a depth of no more than two feet. For larger invasive non-native plants, such as eucalyptus, and native shrubs and trees, a handsaw or chainsaw will be used. Chainsaws will not be used in the park areas that are state-designated wilderness. Most removed vegetation will be piled and burned at a later date.
The will consist of one Project Leader and three Team Members. The team will work for a period of 11 weeks.
- Act as a Crew Manager guiding crew dynamics and facilitating teamwork
- Function as a Technical Advisor assisting in training corps members to complete quality work
- Serve as a Partnership Representative managing relationships with agency partner and ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects
- Perform tasks as a Program Administrator by communicating with SCA staff, completing documentation and managing a budget
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US.
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training: 8/23/2021 – 8/29/2021
- Current Wilderness First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of training; Wilderness First Responder certification is preferred.
- Experience working with young adults 18 and older; teaching in an outdoor environment a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. habitat restoration, trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 to 10 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Not required to provide own housing during the dates of the program
Compensation: Salary range: $700 - $800/week, benefits available only for position placements over 6 months long.
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and three (3) references. Once your application is complete, please email [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.