Join SCA to ConSERVE NYC this Earth Day! With support from American Express and Southwest Airlines, SCA is bringing together hundreds of families and community members to celebrate with service projects and festivities at Riverbank State Park in Manhattan. Here’s how YOU can help:
(1) VOLUNTEER ON EARTH DAY
WHEN: Saturday, April 22nd, 8:30 am – 1:30 pm
- Please arrive by 9:00 am to participate in park bench and survey projects.
- Arrive at any time from 8:30 am – 1:30 pm to create seed balls and seed starters, donate a photo, or participate in other activities on site.
WHERE: Riverbank State Park, W. 145th Street & Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10031
- Take the 1 train to 145th Street, then walk one block west to the waterfront. Enter at 145th Street — look for SCA greeters at the park entrance.
- We encourage all participants to support the planet this Earth Day by using public transit. For more details, see the full driving and transit directions.
- Help paint new park benches at Riverbank State Park.
- Gather historic data at Trinity Cemetery and surrounding park sites as citizen researchers.
- Create native seed balls to help spread native wildflowers across New York City.
- Visit our photo booth to pose with fun props and a green screen and receive a free print of your photo.
- Join us throughout the day at Riverbank Park to enjoy music and other family-friendly games and activities.
- Enjoy music and live DJ appearances from Urban Radio 103.9!
BRING WITH YOU: If you plan to participate in a service project for the full morning, please wear long pants and closed-toe shoes and bring a reusable water bottle.
PROVIDED: SCA will provide free breakfast and t-shirts for volunteers. Johnson & Johnson will also offer recycling-themed giveaways.
QUESTIONS: Contact Ann Pedtke at [email protected] or 724-678-9401.
(2) COLLECT TOILET PAPER TUBES FOR SCA’S RECYCLING DRIVE
Care To Recycle®, a program of Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc., provides fun tips, tricks and DIY projects to help recycle more in the bathroom. This Earth Day, SCA is partnering with Care To Recycle® to hold recycling activities at events nationwide. Collect your cardboard toilet paper tubes and bring them to the event, where our youth leaders will help kids and families transform them into colorful seed starters, then plant seeds to grow at home.
(3) ADOPT A TREE
This Earth Day, SCA is partnering with the New York Restoration Project to give away 250 free trees to NYC residents. Sign up to adopt one of nine native tree species including Tulip Poplar, Serviceberry, Black Tupelo, and more! Then pick up your tree at the event.
(4) DONATE A PHOTO
Can’t make it to the event? Upload a photo through the free Donate A Photo app and select SCA as the benefiting organization. For every photo uploaded, Johnson & Johnson will donate $1* to help empower the next generation of conservation leaders.
* Disclosure Statement: Johnson & Johnson has curated a list of trusted causes, and you can donate a photo to one cause, once a day. Each cause will appear in the app until it reaches its goal, or the donation period ends. If the goal isn’t reached, the cause will still get a minimum donation.