Join SCA, Exelon Foundation, and Enlace Chicago as we get our hands dirty at the Little Village Pocket Parks in Chicago. We have a wide variety of projects to tackle and we welcome all volunteers. Register online now.
Over the past few years Enlace Chicago has conducted an extensive community organizing campaign in order to develop a base of support for the transformation of four empty lots in Southwest Chicago into community-run park and garden spaces, also known as Pocket Parks. These Pocket Parks provide opportunities for healthy food production, safe outdoor recreation, community-based education, community building and advocacy
SCA’s urban conservation crews have helped to transform these four vacant lots into raised-bed ornamental and vegetable gardens which act as open-air classrooms where Chicago teens can learn about gardening, urban gardening and the environment.
Projects at the location will include:
- Gardening and composting
- Seeding and native planting
- Mural project
- General clean-up of tree and plant debris
- Painting of raised beds and shed
- When:Saturday, July 21, 2012, 9:00 – 12:30
- Check-in starts at 9:00
- Welcome remarks at 9:30
- Project begins at 9:45
- Lunch & project wrap-up at 12:30
- Where: Little Village Pocket Parks, meet at 25th & Keeler, Chicago, IL
- What: Remove invasive plants & rocks and install critter exclusion devices to protect native plantings
- Attire: Please dress in comfortable weather-appropriate clothing that you do not mind getting dirty. Volunteers should wear long pants and sturdy, closed-toe shoes and a hat.
- Provided: Training, tools, project materials, snacks, lunch, water, and beverages. A volunteer shirt and reusable water bottle will also be provided at the registration table the day of the event.
- Register online now.
- Children accompanied by parent or guardian are welcome.
- To participate in this event we need you to sign the Participant Agreement Form. It will help with registration the morning of the event, if you can review and sign the form prior to arrival. You can download the form below. Please take a moment to print the form and bring it with you.