Join SCA and Nestle Waters as we get our hands dirty at Coyote Point Recreation Area in San Mateo. We have a wide variety of projects to tackle and we welcome all volunteers.to help refurbish this beautiful area. Register online now.
Coyote Point Recreation Area is one of 18 parks protected, preserved, and enhanced by the San Mateo County Division of Parks. Once an island in the San Francisco Bay, Coyote Point’s 149 acres now support distinctive stands of eucalyptus and Monterey cypress, and its remnant salt marsh, beach promenade, marina, and breakwater provide habitat for a number of native shorebirds and songbirds. Coyote Point also offers a wide variety of water-based recreational opportunities and walking trails for observing and enjoying wildlife.
Projects at the location will include:
- Refurbishing handicap accessible ramp and deck at historic Captain’s House
- Native planting, mulching and removal of nonnative plant species
- General clean-up of tree and plant debris
- Removal of broken and rotted lumber used as a border and replacement with new redwood lumber
- Shoreline clean-up and removal of nonnative plant species at Coyote Point Marina
Note: After the service project, a special tour will be offered at CuriOdyssey, a museum for environmental education that connects children and families with the natural world through interactive science exhibits and up close encounters with native California animals. CuriOdyssey is part of the Recreation Area.
- When:Saturday, July 21, 2012, 8:30 – 12:30
- Check-in starts at 8:30
- Welcome remarks at 9:00
- Project begins at 9:15
- Lunch & project wrap-up at noon
- Special tour of CuriOdyssey following lunch
- Where: Coyote Point Recreation Area, 1701 Coyote Point Drive, San Mateo, CA 94401 Map
- What: Remove invasive plants & rocks and install critter exclusion devices to protect native plantings
- Attire: Please dress in comfortable weather-appropriate clothing that you do not mind getting dirty. Volunteers should wear long pants and sturdy, closed-toe shoes and a hat.
- Provided: Training, tools, project materials, snacks, lunch, water, and beverages. A volunteer shirt and reusable water bottle will also be provided at the registration table the day of the event.
- Register online to attend this event.
- Children accompanied by parent or guardian are welcome.
- To participate in this event we need you to sign the Participant Agreement Form. It will help with registration the morning of the event, if you can review and sign the form prior to arrival. You can download the form below. Please take a moment to print the form and bring it with you.