Conservation Begins Here.
SCA (Student Conservation Association), a nonprofit environmental youth organization, seeks qualified individuals to lead youth crews in the SCA Bay Area Community Crew Program, over a 5 week period of time in summer 2017.
Program Dates: June 28-August 16, 2017.
Mandatory Paid Training Dates: June 14-26, 2017
- Co-lead/supervise a crew of 10 high school students in outdoor conservation work, including habitat restoration and trail work.
- Drive participants safely to and from work each day based out of Oakland. SCA vehicle provided.
- Co-lead and manage work projects, and ensure their successful and timely completion.
- Ensure positive crew dynamics, and promote individuals’ leadership development.
- Actively manage project & member risk to maintain a safe work environment.
- Lead crew on one overnight camping trip
- Each Friday: lead day long Environmental Education activities and field trips for your crew
- Supervise the skills training & safe tool use of crew members; manage the quality & technique of work performed.
- Help manage relationship with agency partner, and communicate with SCA field support staff as required.
- Complete required program reporting and documentation.
- Manage vehicles, equipment and any necessary purchasing for crew and project.
- Ensure compliance with all SCA Risk Management policies & procedures.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training: June 14th to June 26th, 2017
- Current First Aid certification & CPR required by the start of the training
- Experience working with youth or young adults (ages 14-18), teaching in an educational environment
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, preferred i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Must have personal housing arrangements in program city
Compensation: $4,700 to $5,600 total salary depending on experience & program length
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org