Position Description: The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks an experienced, quality oriented outdoor leader to supervise, educate and inspire the 24 members of the SCA Adirondack Corps. The Adirondack Corps is based at the Whitney Headquarters in Long Lake, NY on Little Tupper Lake. The SCA Adirondack Corps Project Leader plays a crucial role in the success of the program, working closely with the Conservation Coordinator and Program Manager to train, supervise and support crew members completing technical trail and conservation projects throughout the 6 million acre Adirondack State Park. Typical projects include: new trail construction, timber bridge construction, removal of invasive vegetation, ﬁre tower restoration, stone structure construction, and general trail maintenance. The Adirondack Corps work in partnership with the New York State Department of Conservation (DEC) and AmeriCorps.
Position dates: Mid-April, 2022 to Mid-October, 2022
· Lead and manage work outcomes and crew interpersonal dynamics
· Facilitate team operations: food planning/purchasing, tools and equipment, vehicles
· Actively manage project/member risk to maintain a safe work environment
· Travel to backcountry work locations to support projects and camp with teams as needed
· Supervise and assist the outdoor work skills training of corps members
· Manage the quality and technique of the work performed (e.g. trail improvement, carpentry, rigging, felling, stone and rustic timber construction projects, fire tower restoration at height)
· Actively manage risk in accordance with SCA protocols to maintain a safe work environment for program participants
· Promote leadership development within team and evaluate member success & potential
· Manage relationships with agency partners
· Work collaboratively with agency partners on program logistics
· Ensure successful and timely completion of work projects
· Assist SCA Program Coordinator to complete required program reporting and documentation
· Assist SCA Program Manager and Coordinator in budget management and reconciliation
· Ensure compliance with all SCA Risk Management policies & procedures
· Represent SCA and AmeriCorps in a positive and professional manner
• Effectively communicate with SCA staff, agency partners, and members.
• Complete all assigned online trainings and hiring paperwork prior to SCA sponsored training.
• Participate fully in SCA sponsored training and any other program-specific trainings assigned.
• Complete all necessary pre-program paperwork prior to members arriving on site.
• Maintain positive relationship with agency partners.
• Provide emotionally and physically safe environment for members.
• Complete all necessary paperwork & reporting
• Follow all SCA policies and procedures as listed in the Field Guide.
• Understand and abide by the guidelines and policies outlined in SCA’s Staff Handbook.
• Understand and model SCA’s Operating Values and Leadership Behaviors.
· Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
· Previous trail construction experience and the knowledge and ability to perform trail construction and maintenance work in both wilderness and non-wilderness settings.
· Prior experience in supervising young adults in an outdoor, backcountry setting.
· Wilderness First Responder/CPR certiﬁcation
· Excellent communication and leadership skills, strong work ethic are required.
· Self-starter, ability to work independently and as part of a team.
· Able to carry heavy loads up to 50 pounds and be able to work in outdoor environment exposed to the elements including camping and hiking for extended periods of time. Up to 5-10 days per hitch.
· Ability to meet SCA and AmeriCorps criminal background check (non-vulnerable population) standards
· Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
· Must have personal vehicle, mileage will be reimbursed at $0.50/mile if use of personal vehicle is required for work
· Have working knowledge of safely operating power and hand-tools.
· Chainsaw experience and certiﬁcation required
· Rigging/Grip hoist experience required
· Completion of an SCA Work Skills Session preferred
- Salary $937.50 per week, paid biweekly.
- Housing provided & meals provided after member arrival.
- Tents and group gear provided for backcountry work projects.
Conditions of Employment
Required to demonstrate full vaccination status for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) with a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized or FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine;
Receive from SCA a reasonable accommodation granting an exemption from vaccine requirements based on a medical disability or because of a sincerely held religious belief. Additional information and instructions regarding how to request a reasonable accommodation will be provided at the time of selection.
Physical Demands, Work Environment and Working Conditions. The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions