During the month of June, Discovery Communications organizes thousands of its employees throughout the world to give back through their “Discover Your Impact Day.” On June 12th, SCA joined in to help their efforts by organizing a conservation project on the Los Angeles River with over 80 local Discovery Communications employees.Read more
Arizona | California |Colorado | Hawaii | Nevada | New Mexico | Utah
The Bureau of Land Management credits SCA teams in Southern California with “rewriting the book” on desert restoration. The Los Angeles Times reports that thanks to our Station Fire recovery project, Angeles National Forest “is starting to look like its old self again.” And along the Pacific Crest Trail, our expert crews are among the few who still perform strenuous heavy rock work – by hand.
The ecological needs of California and the Southwest are distinctive – and so are SCA solutions. We make vital improvements every day to iconic area parks like Yosemite, Arches and Canyon de Chelly. We prepare young military veterans for careers in wildland firefighting in Arizona’s national forests, and SCA’s Bay Area Community Conservation Programs provide jobs, training and opportunities for hundreds of local, under-served youth.
This is how SCA builds “the next generation of conservation leaders” in the California-Southwest region.
- 874 (2013)
- East Bay Regional Parks/San Mateo County Parks community conservation crews
- Veterans Fire Corps
- Desert Restoration Corps
- Yosemite National Park
- Klamath National Forest
- California Desert Conservation Area (BLM)
- Eldorado National Forest
- City of Oakland
- Bureau of Land Management-Nevada
- Grand Canyon National Park
- Haleakala National Park
- Rocky Mountain National Park
- S.D. Bechtel, Jr. Foundation - Bay Area Community Program, CA Program Continuum
- Pacific Foundation Services - Bay Area Community Program
- California Off Highway Motorized Vehicle Dept./CA State Parks - Desert Restoration Program
- Yosemite Conservancy - Yosemite National Park programming
- Bureau of Land Management - California WildCorps
- Mammoth Mountain Ski Area
- Delaware North
News, Stories & Projects
NPS ranger and SCA alum Michael Liang received some much deserved praise from Out Magazine recently for the work he does to make sure that America’s national parks and historical sites feel welcoming, relevant, and representative to people of all backgrounds, gender identities, and sexual orientations.Read more
Student Conservation Association volunteers, in association with Save the Redwoods League and the Garden Club of America, and under the guidance of California State Parks have helped rebuild the River Trail access to the Humboldt Redwoods State Park, along the Eel River, after a massive fire swept through portions of the park in 2003.
Get the full picture from NBC-affiliate KNTV Channel 11:Read more