This week marks the beginning of SCA NPS Academy 2015, as 20 young conservationists hailing from myriad backgrounds gather in Grand Teton National Park for a 7-day look at what it’s like to work for the National Park Service as protectors and promoters of America’s pricelessly wild publics lands.Read more
Alaska is an SCA “region” unto itself with more than 325 million acres of public land – more than half this nation’s wilderness. SCA is working to ensure Alaska Native youth remain connected with their natural resources, culture and heritage by forging youth-focused networks of government agencies, Alaska Native corporations, and local organizations.
Either in spite of, or because of, vast geographically spances and low populations, collaboration with complimentary organizations and programs is key to creating meaningful opportunities for all of SCA’s members.
In recent years, this collaborative effort has achieved a four-fold increase in the number of Alaskan Native teens participating in habitat protection, trail construction, and historic restoration. And with their new-found skills and experience, many SCA alumni are advancing to conservation careers, with our agency partners particularly eager to bring on diverse, young employees reﬂective of the community at large.
Find out Information about our Alaska Corps Teams
- 270 (average)
- Alaska Native Youth crews programs
- NPS Alaska Academy
- Over 160 Conservation Interns serving with agencies across the state
- Launch Program
- U.S. Forest Service Alaska Region
- NPS Alaska Region
- The National Ecological Observatory Network
- Municipality of Anchorage - Girdwood Parks and Trails
- Alaska Geographic
- Cook Inlet Region, Inc. - CIRI Alaska Native Crew
- ConocoPhillips - Alaska Youth Programs
- Bristol Bay Native Corporation - BBNC Alaska Native Crew
- Iditarod National Historic Trail Alliance
- Alaska Airlines Foundation
News, Stories & Projects
Today Steph Jeffries is a professor in the Forestry and Environmental Resources Department at North Carolina State University. In the summer of 1992, she was an SCA intern at Chugach National Forest in Alaska.Read more
Special thanks to