Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire local North Lawndale students for the Medewin Tallgrass Prairie High School Crew.
Program Dates: July 6th-August 13th Mon – Friday 8am-3:30pm
Training Dates: Online: June 21st-June 25th Local: June 28th-July 2nd (mandatory paid training)
• Pick up your cohort of crew members
• Assist your crew with projects within your worksites
• Assist your crew in natural habitat restoration and trail maintenance
• Properly use hand tools like loppers, bow saws, shovels, rakes, etc.
• Participate in all program Environmental Education days
• Help record and track work hours, and fill out a proper timesheet
• Provide feedback, a positive work environment, and motivation
• Follow all program rules and regulations
• Data and photo collection, program wrap-up & reporting
Specifically, the Crew Leader will:
- Act as a Crew Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, and guiding crew dynamics
- Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
- Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
- Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
- Experience working with youth or young adults 14-19 years of age, teaching or environmental education a plus
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Current First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of training
- Must be able to attend Crew Leader training: Online: June 21st-June 25th Local: June 28th-July 2
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
- Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Experience driving 12 passenger van
- THIS POSITION HAS NO HOUSING, must be able to make it to and from pickup site
Compensation: $20/hr 40 a week-6 weeks
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and two (2) references. Once your application is complete, you MUST email [email protected] with “ Medewin Crew Leader in the subject line. This is the only way for us to know your application has been submitted.
FOR HIGHEST CONSIDERATION APPLY BY June 20th. Applicants are highly encouraged to apply early as positions are filled on a rolling basis.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org