Applying for Youth Programs
SCA crew positions are highly competitive! Last year, less than half of the candidates who applied received a position. Putting together an outstanding application is the best way to make yourself stand out from the crowd.
The new and improved, mobile-friendly SCA candidate application is live!
Here’s what you need to know:
- Making changes and updates to your application should be quicker and easier with the newly formatted, mobile-friendly user interface.
- The information from your old application has automatically been moved into the new format.
- The new application has significantly fewer questions, so there will be some questions from the old application that you will no longer see.
- There are some new questions too! The next time that you login to your application, you’ll be asked to answer and save the new questions before you logout.
SCA’s goal in implementing these changes is to make the application more user-friendly, easier to access and quicker to complete than the old version. You can help us to make sure that we’re meeting that goal by sending us your comments, kudos, questions and concerns as you begin to use and explore the new format.
Make yourself competitive!
Use your application to tell us who you are and why you would be a great SCA member. In particular, we want to know about your strengths, interests and experiences in these six areas:
- Leadership skills and/or responsibility
- Participation with extracurricular groups or volunteer organizations
- Social and group skills
- Experience and interest in spending time outdoors
- Interest in ecology or environmental topics
- Comfort level spending extended time away from home
Who is eligible?
To be considered for SCA’s Youth programs you must be:
- 15 to 19 years old on the start date of the program
- A current high school student, including seniors who graduate the spring immediately before the program
- Visit our program pages for additional requirements for specific youth programs
- Create a username and password for your MySCA portal.
- Create your username by clicking on the “Apply Now” button in the upper right corner of this page or the green “Start Your Application Button” below.
- Once you have created your username, you will receive an email prompting you to create a new password.
- Use your new username (your email address) and password to login to your new MySCA portal.
- In your portal, click on the “Manage Applications” tab.
- Complete the Basic Application at the top of the page. You’ll know that this section is complete when all of the tabs are blue or yellow.
- Complete the Youth Crews or Youth Community program application.
- For National, Regional and Leadership Crew positions, complete the Youth Crews application.
- For Community Crew positions, complete the Youth Community application.
- If this is your first time applying with SCA, you will need to click the “Submit” button to complete your application.
For Regional Crews, add the correct Promo Code.
- Find your Promo Code on the Regional Crew page
- Enter the Promo Code on the Home Page in your MySCA portal
There is a one-time application fee of $25 ($40 for non-US citizens) for most youth programs. If you have questions or concerns about the fee, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or your local SCA contact.
We know that you’ve learned and grown a lot since last year. Update your application to share the experiences and skills that make you an even stronger candidate this season.
- Make sure that your dates of availability are accurate and current
- Share new experiences and insights in your essays
- Add at least one new reference
- Check out the list below for additional tips
To learn what happens after you complete your application, visit the program page for the crew program(s) you are applying for.
Tips for Submitting a Successful Application
- Complete your application by the deadline! Visit program pages for details
- Make sure your dates of availability are accurate and current
- Include at least one reference from someone who knows you in a team setting (coach, volunteer supervisor, youth group leader, etc.)
- Use your essays to express your enthusiasm and make yourself stand out from the crowd
- Proofread, spell check, and use complete sentences, proper punctuation, and good grammar
- Review everything to make sure that your application is 100% complete and up to date
Questions about Applying for SCA Youth Positions?