Adding a new dimension to outdoor summer programs
Outdoor Certiﬁcations. Leadership skills. Hands-on Conservation.
SCA’s Conservation Leadership Crew is a fee-based, hands-on conservation service experience that adds an exciting new dimension to SCA’s National Crews. You will walk away with concrete outdoor skills certiﬁcations and a focused training on leadership, wilderness medicine, and outdoor education, all within SCA’s hallmark structure of giving back to mother nature through hands-on conservation service.
The Conservation Leadership Crew is an adventure of a lifetime - whether you’re exploring and conserving the pristine Alaskan countryside or putting in the miles on steep mountain trails, you’ll be taking your conservation goals to the next level and preparing to be a true conservation leader, all while making a difference in the great outdoors.
Application Deadline: March 15, 2015
Promo code: PO-00623480
- Include 8 teenagers per crew
- Serve 3 to 4 weeks in the summer
- Are supervised by two experienced adult leaders
- Cost: $2750 for 3 week positions*, $3000 for 4 week positions*
- Participants are also responsible for the cost of travel between their home and the crew location at the beginning and end of the program.*
Leadership Crew Members:
- Complete trail maintenance and site restoration projects in national, regional, state, or local parks
- Live in tents on site and cook their own meals
- Complete a Leave No Trace Trainer Course and learn practical outdoor skills
- Learn Wilderness Medicine Essentials
- Build leadership, job development and life skills through:
- Becoming “Leader of the Day”
- Exploring leadership styles
- Giving and receiving feedback with peers and leaders
- Learn about local wildlife and help to preserve vital habitats
- Participate in a 3 to 4 day recreation adventure trip with their crew
The ideal candidate:
- Is 15 to 19 years old on the start date of the crew
- Is a current high school student, or graduated from high school the semester directly before the summer crew
- Demonstrates past leadership experience and is committed to building leadership skills
- Participates with extracurricular groups or volunteer organizations
- Likes working with people
- Enjoys spending time outdoors
- Wants to learn more about ecology or environmental topics
2015 Leadership Crew Program Dates
Candidates must be available for at least one of the date ranges listed below. Wider dates of availability increase your chances of being selected for a position.
3 Week Crew
6/8 – 6/28
6/15 – 7/5
7/13 – 8/2
7/27 – 8/16
4 Week Crew
6/8 – 7/5
6/15 – 7/12
7/13 – 8/9
7/27 – 8/23
How to apply:
- Login to MySCA
- Complete the online SCA application, including the Crews section
- Pay the one-time $25 application fee
- Enter the Leadership Crew Promo Code PO-00623480 on your Home Page in MySCA
- Apply early! SCA will be using a rolling admissions process. This means that we will begin reviewing applications as soon as they come in.
- Application Deadline: March 15, 2015
- Your application must be complete by March 15th to be considered for the 2015 Leadership Crew program.
Admissions Process: March through April
- Highly qualiﬁed candidates will be contacted to set up a phone interview
- Selected candidates will receive an email offer with the dates and location of their position
- You will have the opportunity to accept or decline the offer
- If you accept, you will receive:
- Medical Form
- Conditions of Acceptance Form
- Tuition payment information
- Location information for planning your travel to the site
- Candidates who are not selected will receive an email declining their participation, or inviting them to be placed on a waitlist
Questions about Leadership Crews?
* Leadership Crew members are eligible to receive up to $400 in ﬁnancial aid toward the cost of travel or tuition for the Leadership Crew. Selected members will receive an application for ﬁnancial aid.