Your child is about to embark on a life-changing experience, where they will have the opportunity to meet new friends, explore potential careers, gain leadership skills, and accomplish hands-on conservation work that will have a lasting impact on the planet.
SCA ﬁelded its ﬁrst community conservation program in Philadelphia in 2009. In 2012 we launched our programming in Camden, New Jersey. Since that ﬁrst year, hundreds of youth in the Philadelphia region have participated in SCA programs. Thanks to the City of Philadelphia and the City of Camden, environmental organizations, schools, youth development organizations, and numerous community groups, SCA continues to provide conservation opportunities to Philadelphia young people each year.
The SCA Greater Philadelphia Community Program provides year-round conservation opportunities divided into two seasons: school-year programs (running January through May) and summer programs (running July through August). The Philadelphia Community Program offers both volunteer and paid service opportunities. Volunteer programs occur on weekends, while paid service programs run Monday-Friday in the summertime, with some evening and weekend participation during the school year. Members serve at sites in and around the Philadelphia area. Participants build trails and restore habitat while exploring green career opportunities, building leadership skills, and learning about the local environment through ﬁeld trips, outdoor recreation, and service projects.
- CPR Certiﬁcation
- Resume Building
- Leave No Trace (LNT) Outdoor Ethics
- Financial Literacy
- Habitat Restoration
- Trail Skills
Applicants must be at least 15 years of age or in high school. Other requirements vary by position.
To contact SCA’s Community Program in Philadelphia, email SCAPhiladelphia@theSCA.org or phone: 215-756-2279.
2014 Conservation Leadership Corps Program for
High School Aged Students 15-19
from The Greater Philadelphia Area.
SCA’s Conservation Leadership Corps Program will have crews of high school students working in local parks one weekend a month from January 2014-May 2014. As a member of a CLC program you will:
- Volunteer one weekend a month throughout the school year in the Philadelphia, PA and Camden NJ area and earn up to 80+ Community Service hours.
- Participate in Green Jobs Curriculum training.
- Build trails, restore river and lakefront environments, and conserve habitats.
- Learn about your environment through weekend camping excursions
- Give back to your community through service projects, tree planting, trash clean ups, trail restoration, small constuction projects, ect.
- And, we will encourage you to join an all-expense paid SCA National Summer Crew to experience the outdoors away from home in National Parks Across the country or locally in a paid summer program.
Transportation will be provided to and from a pick-up/drop off stop. Work gear (hats, longsleeve shirts, gloves, helmets, and tools) will also be provided to all students in the program.
APPLY HERE: LINK (APPLICATION DEADLINE November 20, 2013)
This year, the CLC Program weekends are as followed (set schedule but subject to change depending on weather and project availablity):
- January 24-26 (CLC Overnight Retreat Weekend) (Conﬁrmed date)
- February 8-9
- March 8-9
- April 5-6
- May 17-18 (Overnight Camping Weekend) (Conﬁrmed date)
You must be available to participate in every CLC work project day, its 10 days total. The once a month Green Jobs Curriculum training may happen after school during the week before the scheduled CLC weekend. Those dates will be determined depending on CLC member’s and Crew Leader’s availability during the week.
Thanks again for your interest in SCA’s Conservation Leadership Corps Program! If you have questions please contact Corrin O. 215-756-2279