SCA’s NPS Academy is an innovative, experiential learning program designed to introduce undergraduate and graduate students from under-represented communities to career opportunities with the National Park Service.
“To enhance professional and organizational excellence in the next century, the National Park Service must recruit and retain a workforce that reﬂects the diversity of the nation.” A Call to Action, 2013
Interns attend a week-long orientation over spring break and serve in 12-week summer internships tailored to various NPS career tracks. Summer internships are available in a variety of ﬁelds, including visitor services, education, resource management – and many more!
- Weekly Living Allowance
- Travel Allowance
- Housing or Housing Allowance
- Assigned NPS mentor
- Hands-On Experience
- Additional Career Preparation and Ongoing Support
The ideal candidate pool includes:
- Students who self-identify as being from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds
- US Citizens
- 18-25 year-olds
- Current undergraduate & graduate students
The ideal candidate is:
- Available for one week in March and twelve weeks in the summer
- Open-minded and has an adventurous spirit
- Toward the end of a college career, with some signiﬁcant work experience
- Not necessarily experienced in conservation or National Parks
- Eager to act as an ambassador for SCA and the NPS
- A licensed driver
- Able to provide references with an application
- Encouraged to apply by 12/15/14 (applications will be accepted until positions have been ﬁlled)
Download the NPS Academy Flyer (PDF) for more information or to spread the word.