SCA INTERN POSITION: Volunteer Program Assistant
Tonto National Forest, Mesa Ranger District
The activities of the SCA Internship Position will assist with the District Recreation/Volunteer personnel with the coordination and development focus of special volunteer programs including Wilderness Stewardship, Eagle Scouts, and Adopt-A-Site Volunteer Programs.
· Coordinate with volunteers and Forest staff to complete special volunteer program work projects on the ground.
· Help maintain volunteer enthusiasm.
· Deﬁne, in consultation with District staff, opportunities for special programs development.
· Participate in volunteer projects and provide assistance to volunteers in the ﬁeld.
· Schedule Forest specialists to conduct motivational trainings for the volunteers (e.g., Plants of the Sonoran Desert, Geology, Map and Compass). Participate in trainings.
· Identify potential volunteer leaders and discuss this potential with District Staff
· Draft volunteer agreements for project participants
· Communicate with Forest Service staff and volunteer groups or individuals
· Maintain a contact list and accomplishments of program activities
· Recognize volunteer participants for their accomplishments (e.g., set up a pot luck lunch)
· Assure volunteers wear appropriate safety attire and follow safety procedures.
- some coursework or experience
- Public Speaking
- competent with supervision