Historical Biological Data Entry Technician

Expected Dates
September 15, 2014 to March 1, 2015
Site
Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge
Position ID
PO-00584864
The masked bobwhite quail is an endangered species of the Sonoran Desert. The Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge was established in 1985 to help reestablish a self-sustaining population of masked bobwhites in AZ.  Since 1968, masked bobwhite survey and habitat data has been collected in AZ and Sonora, Mexico, and much of this data is held in hardcopy form at the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) (some written in Spanish). 
 
It is important for these data be entered into an electronic database for security, program continuity and data analysis. This step will permit data to be widely accessible.  Subsequently, the spatial extent and quality of data can be evaluated, so data synthesis and interpretation can occur, for future work and surveys to build upon.  
 
This position focuses on entering these survey and habitat data into a geodatabase format (80% of time).  Assuming the primary goal is being met, during the remaining 20% of time, the incumbent will provide support for a wide range of biological issues and maintenance tasks occurring on the Refuge, as assigned. 
  • Work will be conducted at Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge (BANWR), a remote location near the Mexican border. Tucson, AZ is the nearest metropolitan area is approximately a 2 hour drive from the Refuge.

    Spanning the 117,464-acre refuge are several distinct groups of plants and animals that are dependent on each other. Visitors will enjoy the semi-desert grasslands that blend into the cottonwoods and willow that line river banks and wetlands within the refuge. Settled in amongst the grasslands and wetlands is a beautiful sycamore-shaded canyon of extraordinary diversity. Brown Canyon is home to 200 million year-old volcanic rocks that support a distinct variety of plants and animals that have evolved within this amazing sky island ecosystem.

  • Refuge staff will provide training opportunities centering on the assistance of current biological research occurring at BANWR.
  • Refuge staff will provide enrichment opportunities centering on the assistance of current biological research occurring at BANWR.
  • No
Main Area of Focus
Cultural/Historical Resource Mgmt
Education, Training & Skills Expected
Biology
some coursework or experience
Resource Management
some coursework or experience
History
some coursework or experience
Data Entry
competent without supervision
GIS
competent without supervision