As a Junior Ranger (JR) Intern, you will assist parks in delivering and promoting JR programming to under-served, inner city and rural youth. Jr Ranger interns work primarily in environmental education, historical interpretation and community outreach. These internships are a great opportunity to introduce the power of local parks to youth and local community members.
Junior Ranger Ambassador Interns will enhance the Junior Ranger experience at national parks by creating or revising Junior Ranger activity booklets and curriculum activities at their assigned park or region. In 2012, there is a special emphasis on incorporating the Let’s Move Outside initiative and digital media into the Junior Ranger program.
- Serve for 12 to 24 weeks
- Attend a 2-3 day training about the JR program at the National Conservation Training Center
- Intern activities may include: Develop the first JR program for a park or revise a park’s outdated JR program
- Lead park efforts in environmental education, history, publications and communications in addition to other outreach efforts
- Assist in community outreach, and volunteer and event coordination
- This position is eligible to receive AmeriCorps education awards
- Housing or $500/month housing allowance
- $200 weekly Living allowance
- Eligible for a $1468 AmeriCorps Education Award
- Paid travel to training, from training to site, and from site to home
- New Skills/Knowledge: basic interpretive skills, child development stages, basic publication design principals, skills for “survival in national parks,” orientation to the NPS Mission and park enabling legislation/stories/resources, public outreach.
- 18 years of age
- Experience working with elementary/middle school age students
- Interest/experience in design
If you have an interest or experience in education, working with children, and graphic design, then this is one opportunity you won’t want to miss.
Find the full list of available positions here or simply search for an internship using the keyword “Junior Ranger Ambassador.” To Apply, please fill out an SCA application online.