Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualiﬁed applicants to lead, educate, and inspire Corps Members for the Veteran Fire Corps programs.
Supervise teams of ﬁve Veteran members working in partnership with the US Forest Service to complete ﬁre/fuels management work. Veterans Fire Corps provides recent-era Veterans with the training, credentials and experience they need to competitively pursue wildland ﬁre and/or forestry careers. Projects may include participation on prescribed ﬁres, fuels reduction, ﬁre effects monitoring, FIREWISE educational outreach and pre-ﬁre preparation of burn units. This position will also require additional experience in data management including: hiking forest settings gathering ﬁeld data, working with GPS hardware to navigate to plots, using GIS software to create maps, and managing the FFI database. The work schedule may vary, but typical work hitches could include working up to 4 consecutive 10-hour days with 3 days off. This position is full time, seasonal.
Locations will most likely include Florida Fish & Wildlife, Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest, Bighorn National Forest, Black Hills National Forest, Arapahoe Wyoming, White River National Forest, Yosemite National Park, Grand Canyon National Park and Prescott National Forest and other sites in CO, WY, NE.
Program Dates: April 12, 2015 – August 1, 2015; includes mandatory Project Leader training (Dates are estimates, but will be within 2 weeks of the dates shown here)
- Lead and manage work outcomes and crew dynamics
- Facilitate team operations: food planning/purchasing, tools & equipment, vehicles, housing arrangements
- Actively manage project/member risk to maintain a safe work environment
- Assist in the GPS/GIS skills training of corps members
- Manage the quality & technique of work performed
- Promote leadership development within team and evaluate success & potential
- Manage relationship with agency partner
- Work collaboratively with agency on program logistics
- Ensure successful and timely completion of work project
- Communicate with SCA ﬁeld support staff as required
- Complete required program reporting and documentation
- Oversee presentation of project data to agency partner
- Manage budget and necessary purchasing for crew and project
- Ensure compliance with all SCA Risk Management policies & procedures
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility veriﬁcation document form upon hire
- Current Wilderness First Responder and CPR certiﬁcation
- Minimum 2 years prior experience supervising groups in an outdoor setting
- Extensive ﬁre line, chainsaw, or veterans programming experience; if a Veteran, must have been honorably discharged
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, preferred i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
- Ability to hike on rough, uneven terrain, and pass the Wildland Fire Fighters’ arduous pack test (3 miles in 45 mins. with a 45lb pack on)
- Preferred skill set: Experience leading veterans or ﬁre crews, S212 federal chainsaw certiﬁcation, S130/S190 federal ﬁre certiﬁcations, forestry, geography, GIS, range management, outdoor education and/or related subjects; plant identiﬁcation; map & compass skills; camping skills; enthusiasm for the outdoors; and a sense of adventure.
Compensation: $575.00 / week paid bi-weekly with some seasonal beneﬁts.
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a proﬁle, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email email@example.com with “Project Leader - Veteran Fire Corps” listed in the subject line so we may review your application. We are hiring on a rolling basis until all positions are ﬁlled.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org