The Policy Analyst works with the lobbyist, organizers, and research staff to track and evaluate various national and state policies and legislation related to Food & Water Watch’s fish program. The Policy Analyst reports to the Fish Program Director.
- Track and analyze federal and state policies regarding marine issues.
- Track and analyze national legislation through the committee process and to the floor of Congress; analyze and comment on executive branch regulations in cooperation with the Lobbyist.
- Provide written policy related products, such as formal correspondence (e.g. comment letters) and fact sheets.
- Work with research, organizing staff, and Fish Program Director to ensure coordination with policy goals.
- Conduct face to face meetings with members and congressional staff and executive branch officials as needed, provide written materials as requested, and prepare testimony for congressional committees in cooperation with the Lobbyist.
- Attend various marine resources management meetings. Provide written or oral testimony, as appropriate.
- Represent the fish program as liaison to the Marine Fish Conservation Network
- Make presentations and participate in professional panels on marine policy issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
- *Education* College degree required. Masters degree in marine policy a plus.
- *Knowledge* Familiarity with Capitol Hill and legislative strategy, advocacy and media relations, as well as environmental and/or consumer issues. Experience with oceans conservation, fisheries management.
- *Experience* A minimum of 2 years of advocacy on public policy issues.
- *Skills* Excellent written and oral communication skills, good interpersonal skills. Proficiency in word processing; familiarity with databases desirable.
- *Capabilities* Ability to think creatively and quickly to respond to policy and legislative developments, and to take advantage of breaking news; ability to work well with a wide variety of people and to coordinate diverse tasks.
- *Conditions* Strong interest in and commitment to promoting the goals of Food & Water Watch. Long hours possible, occasional travel.
Competitive salary. We offer an excellent benefits package that includes 100%employer paid medical/dental/long-term disability, 403(b) retirement plan, and generous paid leave. This position is based in Washington, DC.
Please send a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and three references to jobs(at)fwwatch.org. Position open until filled. Food & Water Watch strives for a diverse work environment and encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and differently-abled people to apply.