The Union of Concerned Scientists is a nationally prominent science-based nonprofit working on issues we believe to be the greatest environmental and security threats of our time. UCS combines rigorous scientific analysis with innovative thinking and effective citizen advocacy to achieve practical solutions. We strive for a future that is free from the threats of global warming and nuclear war and a planet that supports a rich diversity of life. Our specific focus areas include global warming, renewable energy, advanced vehicle technology, nuclear power safety, nuclear weapons and related security issues, preserving the integrity of science, and sustainable agriculture.
▪ Under the direction of the deputy director, provide administrative, outreach, communications, and research support to the department.
▪ Working closely with the outreach coordinator, aid in outreach and communication activities.
▪ Conduct research and helps with special projects as requested.
▪ Aid in outreach and communication activities, including maintaining contact databases; assisting with outreach to grassroots activists, organizational allies, and professional societies; attending UCS outreach meetings; revising and updating F&E web pages and promoting F&E work via social media sites; assisting with loading action alerts and maintaining data on responses, and aiding in planning and executing Congressional briefings
▪ Provide administrative support, including preparing Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations, distributing program publications, providing back-up support for the other half-time program assistant
▪ Perform research and write on program issues, including conducting research requested by other staff and writefor FEED (Food & Environment Electronic Digest) and other UCS publications
Qualifications and Experience Required:
▪ The position requires a bachelor's degree or equivalent, self-motivation, good interpersonal skills, attention to detail, familiarity with office operations, competence in web research, and intermediate level skills in word processing, database use/maintenance, and internet browser use.
▪ Strong written and oral communication skills, strong administrative and organizational skills, ability to work independently and as part of a group, and skills in preparing materials for the web are necessary for this position.
▪ The position requires at least two years of relevant experience as a program, administrative, or research assistant, preferably in a non-profit organization.
▪ Experience with organizing and outreach, preparing materials for the web, conducting web research, and maintaining databases is strongly preferred.
▪ Familiarity with food and environment issues is helpful, but not required.
▪ On-the-job training of six months is needed to become familiar with UCS and F&E personnel, programs, and procedures.
This position will be based in our Washington, DC office. UCS offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and a flexible and friendly work environment. UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff.
Send a cover letter referencing where you learned of this job opening, résumé, and salary requirements via email before June 9 to jobs(at)ucsusa.org; please write “F&E Program Assistant” in the subject line. Electronic submissions only. No phone calls.