The Society for Ecological Restoration International (SER) is seeking a highly motivated and well-organized individual to develop and implement a fundraising strategy to support SER's long-term objectives. SER is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the science and practice of ecological restoration as a means of sustaining the diversity of life on Earth and reestablishing an ecologically healthy relationship between nature and culture. Today, SER is recognized as the preeminent source of expertise on ecological restoration science, practice, and policy (www.ser.org ).
SER members are actively engaged in repairing and managing ecologically sensitive ecosystems around the world through a broad array of experience, knowledge, and cultural perspectives. With members in more than 50 countries and 14 chapters in North America, England, Europe, Australia and India and, SER is seeking to expand its presence in Asia and Latin America and the Caribbean.
The Development Director position is an integral part of realizing SER's long-term growth strategy. This full-time, exempt position is supervised by the Executive Director. The Development Director will be based in Washington, D.C.
- Work with the Executive Director, Membership Coordinator, and other staff to develop and implement a comprehensive development and fundraising strategy
- Research and identify potential donors and sponsors (e.g., prospect, explore, identify, and track fundraising opportunities) focusing on those that have the highest priority)
- Write proposals, letters of inquiry, and grant reports to donors
- Identify and follow up on potential funders suggested by other people
- Explore a wide variety of funding opportunities(e.g. foundations, corporate donors, individual memberships, plan giving, capital campaigns, events, etc), identify which would work best for SER and proceed accordingly
- Develop and implement a planned giving program
- Meet with current and potential donors
- Travel domestically and/or internationally
- Ability to write clearly, concisely, and logically on short deadlines
- Proven record of fundraising success
- Experience with project management and strategic planning
- Strong understanding of funding institutions and non-profit organizations
- Ability to work independently, with guidance from senior staff as needed
- Well organized and detail oriented
- Comfortable and engaging at public events and meetings
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills
- Adaptable and flexible to shifting opportunities, priorities and needs
- Constructive, proactive and creative
- Bachelor's or higher degree in business, international relations, policy or a related field
- Availability and willingness to travel
- Ability to work well and communicate effectively with a wide variety of people, including board members, volunteers, SER members and collaborators
- Proficient with the English language (knowledge of Spanish a plus)
- Familiarity with organization of international events and conferences a plus
- Highly motivated and committed to SER's mission (interest in ecological restoration and/or conservation a plus)
Salary: Commensurate with experience
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample (two page letter of inquiry presenting a project to a foundation), and three references to:
Development Director Search Committee
Society for Ecological Restoration International
Applications will be reviewed immediately and will be received until the position is filled.