Berkshire Natural Resources Council, a private, non-profit land trust based in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, is offering its 2013 Rice Fellowship to two individuals exploring a career in environmental fields.
The 40-hour/week fellowship provides a stipend of $1,000/month, lodging on Onota Lake in Pittsfield, and valuable experience in resource management at a successful environmental organization while performing meaningful work in the Berkshires. BNRC is a small organization (staff of five) unburdened by administrative formality. Rice Fellows enjoy an unusual level of independence compared with many internships; a large amount of self-motivation is required.
The internship dates are May 1 to September 6, with flexibility on both ends.
The duties of Rice Fellows include conservation easement stewardship, fee land management and public outreach. There is a mix of approximately 70/30 field/office work. Fellows gain valuable leadership experience by managing volunteers, acting as liaisons with landowners, and taking on personal projects. Fellows will gain experience with trail-building, global positioning systems (GPS), geographic information systems (GIS), orienteering, and boundary maintenance.
Specific duties include easement monitoring, establishing baseline documents, invasive-plant control, trail maintenance, and assisting with public outreach events (e.g., leading hikes and coordinating events). Other duties may include developing promotional materials, enhancing resource inventories, and other land management tasks.
- Solid writing and communication skills;
- Ability to work unsupervised and comfort with being alone in the woods; and
- Personal transportation is necessary.
Fellows will gain:
- Topical experience with Arc 9.3 GIS (mapping);
- Strong field skills in GPS and map-and-compass navigation;
- Leadership skills;
- Understanding of ecological restoration theory and practice; and
- Basic understanding of land management techniques and challenges for land conservation, the fastest growing sector of the environmental movement.
Applicants should email cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three references by February 19th 2013.
Please be in touch by e-mail with questions and send application to:
Berkshire Natural Resources Council
20 Bank Row
Pittsfield, MA 01201
email@example.com  (413) 499-0596