Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA) is seeking qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire high school students for the summer. SCA is America’s #1 Conservation Service Organization.
National Conservation Crews consist of two leaders and a crew of 6-8 high school volunteers, ages 15-19. Crews live and work in spectacular national parks, forests & refuges across the United States. Two leaders camp with their crew in front country or backcountry sites and work to complete conservation projects in trail building & maintenance or invasive species control. Typical programs are 21 to 35 days in length, starting the beginning of June through the end of August.
- Follow all SCA policies & procedures as required for the position
- Manage budget and necessary purchasing for crew and project
- Complete pre-program duties on and off program site
- Manage relationship with agency partner
- Facilitate crew operations: food planning/purchasing, tools & equipment, work schedule
- Manage all medical and first aid aspects
- Communicate with full time SCA field staff as required
- Supervise crew members on full time basis 24hr/day, 7 days/week for program length
- Train & supervise Crew Members in safe and proper tool use
- Organize & lead recreation trip after completion of work project
- Complete required post-program reporting and documentation
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must be authorized to work in the US
- Must possess current required Wilderness First Aid certification (WFR preferred) & CPR by the start date of the orientation training.
- Documented experience working with youth or young adults (ages 14-18)
- Experience as a teacher or leader in an informal or formal educational environment
- Experience with outdoor living skills. Can include: camping (two weeks or more), hiking, safety awareness, leave no trace, camping, basic map/compass
- Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, i.e., trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more and hike 5 or more miles
- Excellent communication skills needed
- Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
$75-90/day for fixed number of program days; $300 advance given for attending mandatory Crew Leader Orientation & Work Skills (food & lodging provided); travel allowance to training and to each program site; Food & group gear provided during program.
To Apply: Visit MySCA to Login  or Sign-up . Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references. Once your application is complete, please email email@example.com  with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org