Founded in 1971 and based in San Francisco, NatureBridge is the largest residential environmental education partner of the National Park Service. Its mission is to inspire personal connections to the natural world and responsible actions to sustain it. NatureBridge currently operates in six national parks: Yosemite National Park, Golden Gate National Recreation Area, Olympic National Park, Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area, Channel Islands National Park, and Prince William Forest Park. Each year, NatureBridge serves more than 30,000 participants through residential field science, youth leadership, and teacher training programs. NatureBridge is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. See naturebridge.org for more information.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Education Manager is responsible for Field Science staff development and the overall quality of the Field Science program at the NatureBridge campus in Golden Gate National Recreation Area. This is a full-time exempt position with NatureBridge, based in historic Fort Cronkhite in the Marin Headlands. The field science program at the Golden Gate campus is a residential environmental education program which serves over 220 public, charter, and independent schools annually. The Education Manager reports to the Golden Gate Director of Education.
Staff Recruitment, Supervision, and Professional Development
• Directly supervise Mentor Teachers, Lab Steward, and senior Field Science Educators and measure performance
• Lead strategic recruiting and hiring process yearly for new Field Science Educators
• Plan and implement staff training days for both new and returning field staff; trainings aim to improve mastery of risk management, inquiry-based multicultural teaching skills, science, and group development content
• Work with the Field Science team and Director of Education to develop and refine curriculum and teaching resources in response to changing trends in environmental, multicultural, and science education nationwide
Program Budget and Resources
• Develop and maintain annual budget for the field science program; approve and submit program expenses in a timely fashion
• Oversee all aspects of campus teaching resources, including a Skins & Skulls lab, a freshwater lab, and a marine lab with live animals
• Monitor weekly teacher/parent evaluations and address as necessary in relation to educational content, program quality, and staff assessment
•With support from the Director of Education, implement program evaluation and grant-funded projects
• Sit on the NatureBridge Golden Gate Risk Management and Housing Committees
•Sit on the Education Committee and collaborate with the Director of Education and other education program leaders to help articulate Golden Gate’s education vision and integrated programs
•Work together with staff from other NatureBridge campuses to ensure best practices and sharing of resources
Any other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE, COMPETENCIES, AND EDUCATION
• Commitment to the mission of NatureBridge
•Four to 10 years of related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Strong leadership, coaching/supervisory, communication, and project management skills
• Extensive experience teaching children of varied ages and strong pedagogical foundations in experiential and inquiry-based learning, multiple intelligence theory, multicultural education, and thematic teaching
• Experience developing trainings and curricula
• Experience managing and developing programs
• Commitment to and experience in diversity work and working with diverse populations
• Working knowledge of natural and cultural history of the California coast
• Current Wilderness First Responder and CPR certifications
• Master’s degree or equivalent in education, science, or a related field a plus
• Experience in residential environmental education programs a plus
• Teaching credential and/or experience in a classroom setting a plus
Interested individuals should submit a letter of interest, resume, and salary requirements in word format. First review of applications begins on December 4, 2012. Send information to: email@example.com 
No phone calls or faxes please. No agencies please.
Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strive to diversify our workforce and seek applications by individuals from all backgrounds.