Position Title: Trail Crew Member
Location: Lands managed by the Austin/Tonopah Ranger District
Application Deadline: May 1st, 2012
Position Term: End-of-May through end-of-August 2012
Position Summary: Friends of Nevada Wilderness (FNW) in cooperation with the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest, is recruiting a full-time (40 hours/week) Trail Crew Member to maintain trails on the Austin/Tonopah Ranger District. The Trail Crew Member will be required to work with other members and be responsible for the safety of trail crew members, volunteers, and Forest visitors. This is a seasonal position that begins in the end of May/beginning of June and ending no later than August 31st, 2012. Work term could be extended through September 2012
Location: The qualified person will be focused on working in a backcountry setting on and around the Toiyabe Crest National Recreation Trail (south of Austin, NV). Due to the remote nature of the work sites, camping will be required most nights during the week at undeveloped, backcountry recreation sites. Reliable transportation to locations around the Austin, NV area is essential.
• Maintain wilderness trails to typical standards of the Austin/Tonopah Ranger District.
• Ability to perform the manual labor required of trail work.
• Thoroughly maintain a safe environment for self and all program participants.
• Maintain tools and all necessary safety equipment.
• Ability to work responsibly with other Members and receive direction from the Crew Leader.
• Be willing to work non-traditional hours, including nights and weekends.
• Hitches will require remote, multi-day spikes, while carrying all tools and equipment associated with the required work.
• Verifiable history of remote outdoors camping and travel along with demonstrated capacity to thrive in a rugged outdoor environment.
• Level of physical fitness enabling the Member to hike ten miles per day with a 40-60lb pack.
• Map reading will be essential along with knowledge of, or willingness to learn, to use GPS handheld devices.
• Valid driver’s license.
• 18 years of age or older.
• Personal hiking and backpacking equipment required (please inquire about specific equipment needs).
• Reliable transportation to meeting points around the eastern and western sides of the Toiyabe range area is essential.
$14-$15 hourly rate DOE. Housing with very few amenities will be provided. There are no benefits or overtime associated with this position.
To Apply: Email a cover letter, resume and (3) references to: Wes Hoskins, Forest Project Coordinator, Friends of Nevada Wilderness; firstname.lastname@example.org 
Friends of Nevada Wilderness PO Box 9754 Reno, NV 89507
To find out more about us please visit our website: www.nevadawilderness.org