TITLE: Development Associate, Major Gifts and Events
WAGE CATEGORY: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Senior Director of Development
LOCATION: Washington, DC
ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS
American Rivers is the leading conservation organization fighting for clean water and healthy rivers. For almost 40 years we have protected and restored rivers, scoring victories for communities, wildlife, and future generations. American Rivers is a national non-profit based in Washington, DC with regional offices nationwide and more than 100,000 supporters and volunteers. American Rivers maintains a positive work environment with a culture of learning, support and balance. For more information please visit www.americanrivers.org , www.facebook.com/americanrivers  and www.twitter.com/americanrivers .
The Development Associate is responsible for supporting the Major Gifts team to achieve annual revenue goals from individuals and successfully executing fundraising events as assigned. The Associate assists the Development Department’s fundraising efforts overall to ensure AR can continue to develop, implement, promote, and advocate policies and practices that protect and restore healthy rivers and the communities that depend upon them. He/she will report to the Senior Director of Development.
· Work closely with each Major Gift Officer (in various regions) to ensure that major donors and prospects are managed according to the strategy set for each. This includes assisting the gift officer with research, keeping the major donor records up to date and tracking deadlines.
· Assist major gift officers in planning donor visits for them, the SVP and President. Coordinate with Development Assistant to prepare briefings and other materials; prepare in-depth research reports on highest level prospects.
· Stay well informed on AR’s programs and issues and assist the major gifts team with matching up donors with programs. Assist with proposal development as needed.
· Facilitate major gift team meetings.
· Manage the revenue and expense budgets for the major gifts team, preparing reports monthly for the Finance Department.
· Coordinate logistics and overall preparation for development events, river trips and field trips.
· Act as liaison for Major Gifts with other development divisions as well as other departments.
· Participate on organization-wide projects and committees as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree and at least three years of development experience
• Ability to work collaboratively in promoting the goals and objectives of the organization.
• Superior written and verbal communication skills.
• Highly organized and able to meet multiple deadlines.
• Ability to perform multiple tasks effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to work effectively with a range of personalities and working styles, and with people at all levels of the organization, including staff, board, foundation officers, and donors.
• Experience using Windows software, including Word and Excel, and donor database programs.
• Prefer candidate with some knowledge of and interest in conservation issues.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. Full-time employee benefits include health, dental and life insurance, retirement plan, and generous paid leave time.
Applications will be considered immediately. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter (including salary history) to: American Rivers, Attn: Development Associate, Major Gifts & Events Position, 1101 14th Street, NW, Suite 1400, Washington, DC 20005; or to: email@example.com , with “Development Associate, Major Gifts & Events Position” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer