Position: Communications Intern – Web Focus
Posted: September 16, 2011
Pew Center on Global Climate Change, Arlington, VA
The Pew Center on Global Climate Change seeks a highly qualified and committed person for a part-time (20 hours/week) or full-time communications internship. The ideal candidate will have strong familiarity with developing and editing web site content and working on full-scale web projects, as well as writing and editing content for other communications channels. This internship position aims to provide a valuable learning experience that will involve working alongside communications professionals of a respected nonprofit organization. It will include working on online and in other communications initiatives of the Center and its Make an Impact program. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize tasks in a flexible manner to address changing needs. This candidate will also be comfortable working effectively in a team environment while remaining responsible and accountable for results. The intern will work with the Vice President for Communications and the Communications staff to implement key initiatives.
Starting Date: September 2011
End Date: December 16, 2011
Application Deadline: Rolling until position is filled
- · Assist with creating a consistent online brand for the Center and Make an Impact program
- · Write, edit, and maintain web content, including development of new and existing pages
- · Work with communications team to improve web site navigation and usability
- · Help increase search engine optimization of both the Center and Make an Impact web sites
- · Update and maximize online content including buildouts of new web sections
- · Assist with online engagement programming
- · Assist with analyzing web data and analytics; compile reports as needed
- · Play an “all hands on deck” role during press briefings and other Center events
- · Two or more years of undergraduate study pursuant to a degree in communications, web design/development or related field
- · Familiarity working with content management systems (ideally Drupal) preferred
- · Working knowledge of HTML
- · Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications and writing skills, especially online
- · Proven expertise in editing and writing for the web
- · Strong ability to organize and prioritize tasks in a flexible manner to address changing needs
- · Ability to work effectively in a team environment while remaining responsible and accountable for results
- · Proficient in organizing and developing usable content for web pages, as well as editing existing Web content to meet current web usability standards
- · Familiarity with web analytics tools (such as Google Analytics) preferred
- · Creative thinker with an enthusiastic attitude who will bring thoughtful ideas to improve the Pew Center and the Make an Impact websites
Status: Full-or part-time internship with small stipend
About the Pew Center on Global Climate Change
The Pew Center is an independent, non-profit, and non-partisan organization dedicated to providing credible information, straight answers, and innovative solutions in the effort to address global climate change. The Center was formed in 1998 with a large grant from the Pew Charitable Trusts. The Pew Center strives to inform the debate by publishing reports in the areas of domestic and international policy, economics, environmental impacts, and practical solutions relating to climate change. To facilitate dialogue among business, government, and non-governmental organizations, the Center hosts conferences and workshops on climate-relevant topics. Finally, Pew Center staff members participate in meetings on international climate change issues, including the ongoing negotiations on the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. For more information about the Pew Center visit http://www.pewclimate.org/ .
About Make an Impact
The Make an Impact program, developed by the Pew Center on Global Climate Change in partnership with Alcoa, Bank of America and Entergy Corporation, helps employees, their families and surrounding communities reduce energy use, manage their carbon footprint and become an active part of the solution to climate change. The program features:
· A custom-built carbon calculator with individual carbon footprint analysis.
· A dynamic website with tips, tools and resources on how to reduce energy bills and live more sustainably.
· A comprehensive outreach program of educational workshops and hands-on activities to support local action.
To apply - send resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Administrator
Attn: Communications Intern Search
Pew Center on Global Climate Change
2101 Wilson Blvd., Suite 550
Arlington, VA 22201
Or electronically to: email@example.com